Suggestions For A Replacement Sword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all. I've had Argentine Swords in my tank since I started using live plants a year ago. In my 10g nursery, they are staying relatively small, but in my 55g under better lighting, ferts, and co2 injection, they have just grown too tall for the tank, and my last one is about to be replaced. I like the broad-leaf look it brings to the tank, so I don't want to lose that look. Now is where I need your knowledge/experience... what swords (or other broad leaf plants) would not over-grow a standard 55g either out the top or front to back?

Specs:
55g, 96 watts t5ho on for a total of 8-9 hours a day (split photo-period), PPS Pro fert dosing (still trying to nail down the best amount each day), gravel substrate with root tabs, CO2 injected,

Plants:
crypt windtii, dwarf sag, echinodorus vesuvius, water sprite, water wisteria, anubias, java ferns, limnophila aromatica, another unknown sword, red ludwigia, some red water lily

I like the variety of plants, so I would like to have something different than I already have. Also, hopefully sometime this spring I'll be swapping this 55g out for a 100g I have in the garage (60"x18"x24") so if it might be just a hair too big for a 55g, by the time it grows, it should be in the 100g.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, and thanks as always!
My 55g Planted Freshwater Community Tank - YouTube

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 54
If you want a smaller sword you can go with Echinodorus bleheri 'compacta'. You might also want to look into some of the AponogetonS like A. Natans. Hygrophilia corymbosa has large leaves and you can control size by trimming, same with Mexican Oak Leaf (Shinnersia rivularis). For something different that also grows large but can be trimmed is Hygrophila balsamica.

Back
Top Bottom