Suggestions for Improvement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S_Hurley

Aquarium Advice Regular
Suggestions for Inprovements?

Hey guys I just redid my ten gallon with plants and I was just wanting to get suggestions for improvement, I will be getting a rock for the center but I'm not sure what I should get for the right side! Any suggestions are helpful even if its a whole new design. Sorry in advance for the picture quality I'm on my iphone.

Attachments

• image-3315792528.jpg
    image-3315792528.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3487115503.jpg
    image-3487115503.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3823592442.jpg
    image-3823592442.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2195588203.jpg
    image-2195588203.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3391283343.jpg
    image-3391283343.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1850975173.jpg
    image-1850975173.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 83
Hey guys I just redid my ten gallon with plants and I was just wanting to get suggestions for improvement, I will be getting a rock for the center but I'm not sure what I should get for the right side! Any suggestions are helpful even if its a whole new design. Sorry in advance for the picture quality I'm on my iphone.

Attachments

• image-963928599.jpg
    image-963928599.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3817989896.jpg
    image-3817989896.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2460649794.jpg
    image-2460649794.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 99
  • image-1271157777.jpg
    image-1271157777.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2080387328.jpg
    image-2080387328.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 146
S_Hurley said:

Nice. I like my plants a little more spread out & mixed in with each other but its all about personal preference since you're the one looking at it.:)

Tank looks awesome! Remember though, you don't really want anything in the center. It usually looks more natural when it's off center or more towards one side. I shouldn't say it like that because it is more personal preference than anything. A nice piece of driftwood is always a nice touch!

I like it, the way the plants are all together towards the left rear corner has a nice effect, like a flowerbed almost.

if you leave the plants as they are you could add driftwood as a focal point towards the right-front or anywhere depending on the shape of the wood.

I suppose my one suggestion might be to re-plant the reddish plant that is getting lost behind the other plants, only because it is so pretty and contrasts nicely with the greens. Maybe it is the tallest growing and it belongs in the back, so it depends.

I just added the plant you have on the right side of the bunch, not wisteria but the other one that looks like thyme almost.

WHAT IS IT CALLED? My lfs guy forgot the name when I bought it. :) thanks!!

Just a suggestion but you have all the plants tightly bunched together which won't allow water flow and especially light to penetrate to the lower leaves in the stem plants which can cause lower leaf loss and possibly stem rotting. The plants have no place to grow and expand. Also by spacing the plants you will be able to appreciate each type of plant. JMO

^Agreed. Try some varied asymmetry with the plants and maybe a nice piece of driftwood too.

If you're open to it I would change up the substrate to something more natural and paint the background black. It would really make the colors of your plants and fish pop.

I also like to split/space plants out. Like lump same plants together in an area and spread out the different types of plants into different sections.
I'd move the plant you have in the second picture more to the front, off to a side. The taller big leafed one you have in pic 3 in a back corner. If I'm seeing it right it looks like you have 2 or maybe 3 other plants lumped together in that big bunch. I'd personally split those up into types and place them about too. Take the tallest bunch in the other back corner for sure and then mess around with the other to see where it fits in nicely.

Maybe a nice hunk of drift wood or an interesting stone feature off centered on one side away from the shorter plant upfront.

creic38 said:
Tank looks awesome! Remember though, you don't really want anything in the center. It usually looks more natural when it's off center or more towards one side. I shouldn't say it like that because it is more personal preference than anything. A nice piece of driftwood is always a nice touch!

Ok I will definitely rearrange the sides and I'm going to get either rocks or driftwood! Thanks!

tamtam said:
If you're open to it I would change up the substrate to something more natural and paint the background black. It would really make the colors of your plants and fish pop.

I also like to split/space plants out. Like lump same plants together in an area and spread out the different types of plants into different sections.
I'd move the plant you have in the second picture more to the front, off to a side. The taller big leafed one you have in pic 3 in a back corner. If I'm seeing it right it looks like you have 2 or maybe 3 other plants lumped together in that big bunch. I'd personally split those up into types and place them about too. Take the tallest bunch in the other back corner for sure and then mess around with the other to see where it fits in nicely.

Maybe a nice hunk of drift wood or an interesting stone feature off centered on one side away from the shorter plant upfront.

Thanks! I am going to try this possibly right now!

Rivercats said:
Just a suggestion but you have all the plants tightly bunched together which won't allow water flow and especially light to penetrate to the lower leaves in the stem plants which can cause lower leaf loss and possibly stem rotting. The plants have no place to grow and expand. Also by spacing the plants you will be able to appreciate each type of plant. JMO

Ok I will definitely switch it up! Thanks!

Update pictures, still taking suggestions

Attachments

• image-2753661167.jpg
    image-2753661167.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 44
  • image-2720491004.jpg
    image-2720491004.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image-595469298.jpg
    image-595469298.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 44
marsh said:
I just added the plant you have on the right side of the bunch, not wisteria but the other one that looks like thyme almost.

WHAT IS IT CALLED? My lfs guy forgot the name when I bought it. :) thanks!!

Hey dude, what plant is that??

Back
Top Bottom