Suggestions for new 30gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agwats

Aquarium Advice Freak
HI,

im getting ready to set up a new 30 gal tank and would like a blue gourami and maybe a school of panda corys. i know i want live plants but have not decided on what plants to use. my 20 have java ferns and java moss as well as an anubias nana.

any suggestions on plants and/or tankmates?

btw its a 30 long

Last edited:
agwats said:
HI,

im getting ready to set up a new 30 gal tank and would like a blue gourami and maybe a school of panda corys. i know i want live plants but have not decided on what plants to use. my 20 have java ferns and java moss as well as an anubias nana.

any suggestions on plants and/or tankmates?

With the fish u want I recommend 1 school, about 5, of Black Skirt Tetras and same with some neon tetras.

dont have lighting figured out yet was going to decide that after i had some plant ideas but i should use something economic

agwats said:
dont have lighting figured out yet was going to decide that after i had some plant ideas but i should use something economic

On my 10g I have 2 x 13 watt, 6500k, and 800 lumen bulbs. I have 1 x Amazon Sword, 1 x Red Melon Sword, bunch of stems of moneywort, bunch of stems of cabomba, and Dwarf Hairgrass, which is dying. I use API root tabs and API Leaf Zone.

I was considering a bristle nose for algae control as my LFS has some nice blue fins but I know they can be harsh on plants. Maybe I'll just go w/ a few oto cats. But the blue fins are so nice looking...

I was considering a bristle nose for algae control as my LFS has some nice blue fins but I know they can be harsh on plants. Maybe I'll just go w/ a few oto cats. But the blue fins are so nice looking...

The Panda Cory's will eat algae, but thats not their main diet.

A fast put together stocking list can be.

1 x Blue Gourmai
3 x Panda Cory's
5 x Neon Tetras
5 x Red Minor Tetras

A plant list can be.

Amazon Sword
Red Melon Sword
Moneywort
Cabomba
Anachris "maybe"
Hornwort
Chain Sword

Thats all I can think of. And don't forget over-filtering is always a good thing. An aquaclear 50 http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=aquaclear+50&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16963451031101859724&sa=X&ei=7xPlTbWRBKjM0AHLg7W9Bw&ved=0CEcQ8wIwAA will be a good filter for the 30g Long.

Well tetras are schoolers, so I would go with atleast 6 if you are doing a type of tetra. Cories are shoalers that should be kept in groups of 6 as well, no less than 4 is really best though. One idea would be: Dwarf gourami, and something else that will also be in the top - mid part of the tank most of time, such as a group of 3-6 male guppies, or 6 zebra danios/glo fish, or 6 harlequin or pork chop rasboras. Then 6 panda cories, they will be on the bottom mostly. A 30 gallon should also provide plenty of space for a second centerpeice fish. I keep a female betta with my dwarf gourami in my 29 gal, though this can be risky. For algae you could do 4-6 oto cats, 2 pitbull plecos, a clown pleco, or a bristlenose pleco. Just make sure to wait until the tank is well established to add your algae eaters, 6 months is good..and to add driftwood as it is an essential part of their diet(the plecos anyway, the oto's prefer to have it around too though).

I always go with anacharis and pennywort. They are easy to find, usually affordable, and seem to grow like crazy in almost any light :)

gonna scrap the 30 gal project right now and set up a 10 for my son. moving some tetras outta the 20 and putting a blue gourami in it

Decided to go back to this project instead of the 10 with a few changes. Im going to put the gourami in my 20 and move the tetras to my 30 so I can have a larger community tank. Started a new thread to track my progress and ask questions as they come up. New thread title is starting my 30

Back
Top Bottom