Suggestions for planting Cabomba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gillie

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the best way to plant Cabomba? I am using those plant anchors but the stems keep rotting and breaking off so the plants keep floating to the top. I can't keep them down, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Strange that the stems are rotting. I wonder if it is getting enough nutrients. I am assuming that you are talking about C. Carolina... This plant is a pest when given what it wants. Pushing the trimmed stems into your substrate is all that you should need to do. It should root within a few days.

You could try trimming and leaving some leaves on the bottom of the stem to push under the gravel. That might keep it down a little better while roots establish.

The anchors may be too tight and causing the problem. I would plant each stem separately. Try putting them in the substrate at an angle. You shouldn't need the anchors.

My Furcata stems always melt........I can grow every plant I've tried accept Furcata. :(

I am not an advocate of plant anchors.......put the stem in deep and at an angle.

Alternatively, with cabomba you can float them until they start to root. They will usually root all over the stem and then cover the whole plant with a half inch of gravel and pull up the middle a bit, still leaving the ends covered.

It will grow slower at first but develop a good root system.

Back
Top Bottom