Suggestions for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsdsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking for some suggestion for foreground, low laying carpeting plants for my new 55g, and some mid ground plants, really just some advice. So feel free to jump in!!!

Lighting: T5HO dual with 6700w bulbs. Liquid Co2( not capable of doing a "system", so liquid), will use root tabs as ferts along with liquid if needed.

AquaClear 110 filter. Temp 76. PH 7.6. EcoComplete substrate.

Stock will be mainly Rainbows(asst) with Cory cats and Oto cats.

I am basing this tank off a plan I got from Aquaria, but some of the plants used in that are very difficult to find. So would like to put my own spin on it and use plants that are gentle on fairly newbie to live plants.

Right now the plants I have planned for are:

Ludwigia repens
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Nesaea pedicellota
Bocopa caroliniana
Rotala rotundifola
Rotala wallichii
Pogostemon erectus
Java moss

These are the plants that are suggested in the plan and I can find online. That said, if some of you experienced plant keepers sees something that is not suitable for my setup or experience, please let me know , and maybe give me an alternative?

Also, I saw a pic of Limnophila hippuroides, and would LOVE to have it. Any one have experience with it?

Thanks all. I am itching to get this tank scaped and get some push in it!!! It will hopefully be my showpiece for now, until the itch gets too strong and I want a bigger one!!!

I'd most likely skip the nesaea, or at least don't expect much out of it, it's tough. P.erectus isn't too bad, but it can get melty if it's not happy. I've gotten in 2 shipments of hippuroides and both subsequently melted on me within a week or so of getting them. Could have been the temps in shipping, but either way its too touchy for my liking.

You have a lot of foreground options. Marsilea/dwarf marsilea is always good, dwarf hairgrass, and dwarf sag come to mind.

Marsilea hirsuta is the suggestion. Any ideas in good suppliers?

Thanks for the info on Nesaea and P. erectus. I will try to find a suitable alternative. Being fairly new to plants, and trying to do it right. Need all the help I can get!!!

Well you just got advice from the guy alot of us here on the forum use as a plant supplier: Jetajockey :) He owns Peabody's Paradise where alot of us get our plants from. You can PM him and ask if he has these. I've placed a few orders from him and have always been more than happy with all he has sent!!

Limnophila hippuroides ships best in mild weather, not too hot or cold. It's also alittle slow to acclimate but once it does it grows like a dream. If you want it I would wait until temps cool down a lot. It is worth the wait. Here's what mine looks like... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: RIVERCATS 220G Transformation - Picture. Also if you can get P. Erectus in it's emersed form it does great. I got mine as a rooted plant in a pot. I cut off most of the branches after it came in, then planted them and the rest of the plant with roots. It took alittle time for them to change to immersed growth but was worth the wait. AquariumPlants.com sells them as a potted plant.

Other good options would be Didiplis diandra, Alternanthera reineckii, and Cabomba Furcata.

Thanks Rivercats!! The waiting is going to be the hard part, but it will be worth it!!!

Thanks for the suggestions as well. I will look them up!

Back
Top Bottom