Sump for a FW tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There no such thing as to much filteration, the more the better.
All depends on ur stock lists ... fish,plant,etc.

jetajockey said:
Adding a filter to the display tank is losing out on one benefit (aesthetics) to having a sump in the first place.

Couldn't I hook the FX5 up to the sump?

jetajockey said:
it's your call man, your budget and goals.

If you have the money for high end stuff then by all means, it's just not the way I roll.

Believe me I am not floating in cash. (I with I was). What is the cheap way to do this?

You can get an FX5 for about $200 shipped online, even cheaper used.

I personally wouldn't do a sump on freshwater, it just isn't as effective as a canister IME. Get an FX5 and you never have to worry about having enough filtration ever again.

Running a canister on a sump doesn't always work well since canister are made to be fed by gravity and running on a sump they sit next to it (with the top usually above the water level of the sump). Not that it doesn't work, people have gotten it to, but it can be more problematic.

The canister is also a lot easier to setup, less planning needed, etc.

Fishguy2727 said:
You can get an FX5 for about $200 shipped online, even cheaper used.

I personally wouldn't do a sump on freshwater, it just isn't as effective as a canister IME. Get an FX5 and you never have to worry about having enough filtration ever again.

Running a canister on a sump doesn't always work well since canister are made to be fed by gravity and running on a sump they sit next to it (with the top usually above the water level of the sump). Not that it doesn't work, people have gotten it to, but it can be more problematic.

The canister is also a lot easier to setup, less planning needed, etc.

I see were you are coming from. And were I know nothing about sumps I would feel much more comfortable with the FX5. How many compartments does the FX5 have?

Three trays, two sections each. Each tray has an outer and an inner section. The outer section holds the Foam, the inner section holds whatever you want it to (in most cases biomedia, with the top of the top tray holding some fine mechanical media).

You can actually watch their instructional video on youtube, it will give you a good idea of the filter.

Fishguy2727 said:
Three trays, two sections each. Each tray has an outer and an inner section. The outer section holds the Foam, the inner section holds whatever you want it to (in most cases biomedia, with the top of the top tray holding some fine mechanical media).

You can actually watch their instructional video on youtube, it will give you a good idea of the filter.

Thanks for all the help! I will probably get the FX5 off of Amazon (60% off). Could I run my fluval 305 as well?

You won't need to. You may want to at first until the 75 is cycled, or just use the media from the 305 in the FX5 in the beginning.

Fishguy2727 said:
You won't need to. You may want to at first until the 75 is cycled, or just use the media from the 305 in the FX5 in the beginning.

I would just transfer the media to "instant cycle" the tank.

Back
Top Bottom