Sump for a FW tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am not real sure were to post this.
I am going to get a 70 gallon aquarium soon, I am going to replace my 40 gallon tank with it. I want to know if a 40 gallon sump would be a good idea or not? I have heard that a sump will off gas all of the co2 that I inject, is this true? Does a sump even benefit a FW tank?

It can be very beneficial in many ways. In one way, you can start a shrimp colony in there without them getting eating from any other fish, gives more water volume (Really Stable Parameters) and can be an algae farm.

Yes, a sump can off-gas C02, but that can be prevented by replacing the bioball (Or whatever thing that has a constant drip) with Filter floss.

It gives more water volume, provides nice filtration and allows you to hide all the tank equipment. Many benefits to a sump.

There are many benefits, but I would still go with a good canister. The mechanical filtration provided by a canister is needed in fw.

Fishguy2727 said:
There are many benefits, but I would still go with a good canister. The mechanical filtration provided by a canister is needed in fw.

Is there a way to add mechanical filteration to a sump? Couldn't you turn a sump into a DIY canister filter?

I currently have a fluval 305 on my 40 gallon. Would the fluval 305 be good enough to filter a 70 gallon tank? I also have a penguin Bio filter (HOB) rated for 30 gallons.

I wouldn't consider the 305 enough for a 70. Is this a 70 or a 75? What are the dimensions?

You can get mechanical with sumps, HOB, etc. The difference is that as soon as the media clogs at all water will go around it, taking the path of least resistence. This is not an option with a canister. It is all sealed in a canister so finer mechanical medias are much more effective.

I would think that if you made the sump and ran the fluval on the sump you would have exceptional filtration. If you have filter media on the catch end of the input tube for the sump the water will not be able to bypass the filtration.

What exactly do you mean?
You never want to impede the flow for an overflow (from tank to sump). This could slow the flow and it won't keep up with what the pump is putting in the display, leading to a flood.

Fishguy2727 said:
I wouldn't consider the 305 enough for a 70. Is this a 70 or a 75? What are the dimensions?

You can get mechanical with sumps, HOB, etc. The difference is that as soon as the media clogs at all water will go around it, taking the path of least resistence. This is not an option with a canister. It is all sealed in a canister so finer mechanical medias are much more effective.

The outer dimensions of the tank are 49" long 19" wide and 22" tall

Fishguy2727 said:
Sounds like a standard 75.

So the fluval 305 wont work? What if I ran the 30 gallon rated HOB and the fluval 305? The tank will have a light Bio load. It is going to have 1 breeding pair of anglefish. I am planning on raising them till dime-quarter size. Is this tank big enough to raise the fry to that size (then I will sell them)

u can sump the 75 gallon along with the F305. HOB the sump.
do a wet dry sump, there a lot way on setting up a sump, im sure there one with a good bio build out ther. i use a sump on my red belly tank a lone. the bio was doing good. use bio ball mix with some filter floss.

BlackMagic said:
u can sump the 75 gallon along with the F305. HOB the sump.
do a wet dry sump, there a lot way on setting up a sump, im sure there one with a good bio build out ther. i use a sump on my red belly tank a lone. the bio was doing good. use bio ball mix with some filter floss.

Will it really take all three filters to filter this tank? Or is that just for great filteration?

I have two 405s on my 75 because I already had them. If I was setting it up new I would use an FX5.

Fishguy2727 said:
I have two 405s on my 75 because I already had them. If I was setting it up new I would use an FX5.

Would the FX5 be too much water movement for anglefish?

Not necessarily. The FX5 has two outputs, and decor can cut flow down a lot. When I had peacocks in my 150 I had the output turned around and blowing in each direction along the back, so there was not a lot of flow blasting through most of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom