SumthingsFishy's 50g Tall Planted Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Btw, I'm thinking about upgrading my filter from my marineland 200 to the same aqua clear 50 you have for my 20g planted tank. It looks like it has much more versatility as far as filter media as my current marineland filter only takes pre made carbon bags from marineland. Definitely would get it from Amazon because like you said, the prices are great. Let me know how it's working out for you!

Thanks,
Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Broken center brace is nothing to ignore, especially in a tall tank. Anubias shouldn't be planted in the substrate either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Noted. However, I haven't planted the rhizome - I think I'll be okay. The plant has been doing perfectly fine for the past month and hasn't shown any signs of melting.

Okay so here are some photos taken with my iPhone of the newly added stock. I picked up a common pleco and moved my angel over from my 20g along with my two Cory cats.I was lucky enough to pick up a couple of German blues from the local pet store! Before anyone warns me I am aware they are somewhat difficult to take care of in a newly established tank. I have been keeping a close eye on my pH and try to keep it around 6.6. My ammonia and nitrItes are at 0 and my nitrates are at 20ppm. I'm also keeping a slightly high temp at around 78-80° F.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461979027.953315.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461979043.095129.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461979054.316551.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461979074.229549.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461979095.987442.jpg

I'm very happy with the great color in the Rams. It's not something you see too often, especially in my area where Rams are a rarity. I've been feeding them hikari freeze dried bloodworms since they are being picky eaters in a new tank. I've done my research and come to realize this is the norm for them. I'm going to continue to give them blood worms for another few days and slowly get them used to flake food. I also try to mix Omega One color pellets in with the food to really make the colors pop with all of my fish. Thanks for staying tuned everyone! More to come soon as I am looking for a few more female Rams and Angels.

I have had a tank with center brace missimg, was perfectly fine. Anubias looks good

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Btw, I'm thinking about upgrading my filter from my marineland 200 to the same aqua clear 50 you have for my 20g planted tank. It looks like it has much more versatility as far as filter media as my current marineland filter only takes pre made carbon bags from marineland. Definitely would get it from Amazon because like you said, the prices are great. Let me know how it's working out for you!

Thanks,
Sam

Sam,
I am a strong advocate for Aquaclear/Hagen filters for those who don't have the money for a canister filter, or just prefer an HOB filter. They are very well made, and as you said the design does allow for you to use virtually any filter media you wish without any modification. It's like having a mini canister filter on the back of your tank. I am so happy that Hagen has continued to make this filter the same way it has for years and hasn't made the transition to silly HOB filters with the pre made cartridges.
In my opinion, a 20g planted will probably only need the use of the Aquaclear 20. That is what I am using on my 20g and it works great! I'd like to believe the plants do a great bit of help with the filtration process. Very little particle buildup and I only need to clean it about once a month or once every other month. Only thing I would add is instead of carbon I find it better to use a layer or two of filter floss after the bio media in the 20 and before it in the 50.
My only problem with these filters is that the newer ones may sometimes come with a slightly noisy motor from the factory but is easily fixed by lubricating the impeller with a small bit of vaseline. You can also purchase a replacement impeller from the AC/Hagen website if I'm not mistaken. Cheers!

Anubias is covered in bba. Putting a common pleco in a 50 is bad news, putting a common pleco in a 50 with gbr is insane. Temp should be around 82. Daily bloodworms may bind them up. Get spirulina brine shrimp in the mix. They'll eat anyt hi in really. Females can be pretty rough on each other so before you go adding more you'll want to plant that tank and add sight breaks. Dark coloration is a result of the substrate, they'll always look darker on dark substrate.

Last edited:
Anubias is covered in bba. Putting a common pleco in a 50 is bad news, putting a common pleco in a 50 with gbr is insane. Temp should be around 82. Daily bloodworms may bind them up. Get spirulina brine shrimp in the mix. They'll eat anyt hi in really. Females can be pretty rough on each other so before you go adding more you'll want to plant that tank and add sight breaks. Dark coloration is a result of the substrate, they'll always look darker on dark substrate.

I would like to know where you see the anubias being covered in black beard algae. There isn't any. And I haven't had any problems with the pleco so far, he keeps to himself most of the time. Is there any other problems you have with my tank that I should know about? I appreciate the criticism but maybe it should be a bit more constructive?

Everything I said is fact, nothing personal. The common will reach 18", while it may not physically harm anything it will take dumps the size of the rams eventually. Water quality is of the utmost importance, especially with rams, you'll have a tough time maintaining parameters with 5 lbs of weekly pleco poo. I would look into a bristle nose. I've zoomed in the photo, bba alllll over that thing. H202 bath would help. Constructive? I think so;) I'm finding the younger generation had a tough time taking any advice that isn't exactly what they want to hear.. it's cool though, your tank, your choice..

Attachments

• 1462029963458.jpg
    1462029963458.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 85
I said I appreciate the criticism while in your first post you only stated facts without explaining why. I appreciate your input, and I will remove the anubias. The pleco might not be a common but if it is then I will take note of what you said. I only called it a common because it was just any old pleco I picked at the pet store.

Yeah that common pleco will grow big. Brookster is right. Especially with gbr they need good water parameters definitly.

Pic of the pleco?pretty sure it's a common?? From petsmart? You don't need to remove the anubias permanently, it will clean up. Just dunk it in hydrogen peroxide for 15 min.

Yea that's a common Pleco in a year or year and a half you will have to get rid of it. I had one in my 55 gallon and they get way too big, got rid of it and tank is so cleaner imo

Yea that's a common Pleco in a year or year and a half you will have to get rid of it. I had one in my 55 gallon and they get way too big, got rid of it and tank is so cleaner imo

Thanks for confirming the identity of my pleco. I'm sure I can take care of him if you are right, since I have kept a large common pleco a long time ago. If he does become a problem I will consider giving him to a good home, but for now I'll just go with the flow. He seems to be doing fine now, I feed him wafers every other day or so, since it is a newer tank and there isnt much algae for him to deal with.

You don't seem to understand. It's not a matter of you being able to take care of the pleco, they're the easiest fish out there. It's a matter of responsible fish keeping. Keeping a fish with that potential in a small tank I'd irresponsible. Besides... who wants a foot long common pleco?? Not going to be as easy as you think to re home.

You don't seem to understand. It's not a matter of you being able to take care of the pleco, they're the easiest fish out there. It's a matter of responsible fish keeping. Keeping a fish with that potential in a small tank I'd irresponsible. Besides... who wants a foot long common pleco?? Not going to be as easy as you think to re home.

I understand he could potentially become very large. I will find him a new home if his size becomes a problem. I have a friend with multiple tanks who lives not too far from me who is always more than happy to take fish from me. The local petco also has an extremely exceptional fish keeping department and they are always willing to take in fish as well no matter what the size. I believe the way we are typing our replies to each other are not worded the way we meant them to be read, which is causing a misunderstanding between us.

Okay so,
Following that discussion does anybody have any reccomendations for a fish I can keep in replacement of the pleco? I'm going to be returning him today. Ideally wouldn't want to keep another bristlenose like I have in my 20g but I am open to the idea.

Theres clown plecos, calico bn plecos , zebra pleco, longfin bn plecos there quite a few that will only get 4 -5 inches

Had a breeding pair of bn. Plecos offspring were coming half albino and reg. Rehomed them kept unrooting all my plants. I do i have 1 in fry from them left.

Back
Top Bottom