SumthingsFishy's 50g Tall Planted Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I returned the pleco and used my store credit to buy 4 more angels. I had to purchase them as juveniles because nobody around here has any matured angels. I'm not worried though and I'm sure they will grow just as fast as my other angel. Some other good news is my GBR's began to show mating behavior with each other. Can't wait to see if the two become successful parents!

Angels and rams are going to beat the crap out of each other. Congrats on losing the pleco though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Angels and rams are going to beat the crap out of each other. Congrats on losing the pleco though...

I've done some research and found a good handful of instances where people have kept angels successfully with gbrs. So far they haven't shown any interest in harming eachother

I had to move the angels, they were tooling on the rams. Rams are proud little cichlids though, wouldn't back down. Surely would have resulted in death.

Regarding the Angels and the Rams...
Do you think it depends on number of Rams and Angels in the tank? I'm asking because I have one Angel and one Ram and I truly have never even seen them interact. It's like they've never even seen each other. The Ram spends all of his time in the plants, and the angel usually swims more towards top. Does anyone else have this experience (Angel/Ram aggression)? Thanks.

Regarding the Angels and the Rams...
Do you think it depends on number of Rams and Angels in the tank? I'm asking because I have one Angel and one Ram and I truly have never even seen them interact. It's like they've never even seen each other. The Ram spends all of his time in the plants, and the angel usually swims more towards top. Does anyone else have this experience (Angel/Ram aggression)? Thanks.

So far I havent had any instances in which I felt that the Rams were being too aggressive towards the Angels or vice versa. (I now have 5 angels and 2 GBRs). To be honest, they never show any interest in each other. In my opinion if they are the two main species you plan on keeping in your aquarium you should be fine. I would purchase a couple more angels and a couple more rams just to even out the numbers, this way they wont attack each other from being alone and bored/stressed.

So far I havent had any instances in which I felt that the Rams were being too aggressive towards the Angels or vice versa. (I now have 5 angels and 2 GBRs). To be honest, they never show any interest in each other. In my opinion if they are the two main species you plan on keeping in your aquarium you should be fine. I would purchase a couple more angels and a couple more rams just to even out the numbers, this way they wont attack each other from being alone and bored/stressed.

Hmmmmm wait until one or the other spawns.

Hmmmmm wait until one or the other spawns.

You're right they will show aggression when spawning but thats something that comes with every fish when they spawn. It is their natural instinct to protect their young and the mother. So long as you provide ample hiding places and keep your water quality at its best it should be nothing out of the ordinary.

I have also given any plants and rocks from both of my tanks a soak in some hydrogen peroxide to try and kill off the BBA. It was way easier on the rocks since i was able to scrub them with a sponge. Hopefully over time the BBA will die off. I plan on purchasing some Flourish Excel soon to aid the process of slowing the BBA growth.

You're right they will show aggression when spawning but thats something that comes with every fish when they spawn. It is their natural instinct to protect their young and the mother. So long as you provide ample hiding places and keep your water quality at its best it should be nothing out of the ordinary.

But no, it's not like any other fish. They'll kill each other. Not saying it's not doable. Every fish has their own temperament, but these 2 types of cichlids have the potential to do damage. Geez 2 female rams can be a nightmare. All my angels are little punks. Not sure how big your angels are? They do get pretty big.

Not sure if anyone is still following this- after months away from aa forums, I am sorry to say I have taken down this tank. I still have my 20 gallon which is home to neons, zebras, ghost shrimp and a albino pleco. My 40/45 gallon is for sale if anybody is interested. Including stand/light/filter/heater. Will post an appropriate thread at some point for the sale.

Oh definitely! Always interested - my tank is really just in a stand-by mode so nice to see others (although tempted on a re-scape).

Back
Top Bottom