SumthingsFishy's 50g Tall Planted Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SumthingsFishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,
Im somewhat of a newcomer to the forums, I've had a few posts here and there helping others with questions and sometimes asking questions of my own. But today I am happy to say that I got a great deal on a 50g Tall with a stand/cabinet from a seller on craigslist ($60 can you believe it?!). I really can't wait to document my journey with this tank on this thread.

I already own a successful 20g tall planted which is becoming overcrowded (Having 12 fish in there including: 1 Angelfish, Peppered cory, Albino cory, Albino Pleco, Blue Gourami, 5 Neons, and 2 Black mollies). The fish I am planning on moving to the 50g are the Angelfish and one of the black mollies (Most likely the female because she is taking a beating from the male.She refuses to mate with him and I quite honestly don't blame her because he's a jerk.)
First things first, I've filled the tank and let it sit with no sign of a leak. I've also cleaned the tank and decided to Plasti-Dip the back side of it Black, that way if one day I decide that I want a change in background I can peel it right off. Last night I moved the tank up to my bedroom and it looks great.

I will add pictures of the tank that I had taken post plasti dip/cleaning once I get home from school. If you're interested to see where I take this tank build, feel free to subscribe to the thread and post questions! I'm always on the forum especially since I have the mobile app.

Here are the photos post plasti-dip and cleaning process. I am filling the tank and aquascaping (sort of) as I am posting this.

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1258.jpg
    IMG_1258.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 146
Sound like the exact dimesnions of my 45tall before i got the 40 breeder

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the show of interest! I will post pictures of the filled tank right now, but I must warn you it isn't very visually appealing since I am Fish out cycling the tank. Right now I only have two pieces of Driftwood in with two small anubias plants i propagated from my 20g. The only problem I have is the Aquaclear 50 I had received from amazon was too noisy, so I will be shipping it back for a replacement AC50. I've had good experience in my 20 with the AC filter as far as noise and filter quality goes so I have faith my replacement AC 50 will work out okay.

Sound like the exact dimesnions of my 45tall before i got the 40 breeder

Hey Koopa! It is more than likely a 45 tall but the seller on craigslist advertised it as a 50-60 gallon so I'm just assuming its a 50. I did check the volume corresponding to the measurements of the tank and it does check out to ~45 gallons.

Hey nothing wrong with is beautiful tank jus to tall for me lol

Here are some photos of the dirting and scaping process that I've begun. I propagated two small anubias plants from my 20g, prob gonna throw some Immersed Hygro in as well. I went with carib sea FloraMax for the substrate simply bc it works well in my 20g and it is a good price from the local petsmart. I also went with an Aqueon 150w submersible heater and an AquaClear 50 filter from amazon because who can beat those prices?

img_3353866_0_16e04e4005e3accbb612bf250482ce85.jpg

img_3353866_1_7d7a7875d28764a04e11fc6123addb89.jpg

img_3353866_2_cb2a2659f4ae9a5204a39be4565cbfea.jpg

img_3353866_3_749d65954bc8000b279cba17a0b534a6.jpg

img_3353866_4_c208c2db37a7869c17a3e2640a6c797e.jpg

img_3353866_5_42138a6c9ee3a0f6e04147c769926fa5.jpg

Im getting a Master Test in this week from Amazon so once I get that I can really dial my parameters in. I want it to be perfect for my Angelfish when I transition him from my 20g over. Hopefully the plants from my existing tank will help along the cycling process. Thanks for following folks. :fish1:

OH NO!!! It looks so beautiful but you may have a huge problem. It looks like your center brace is broken out of the middle of the tank! Look at the top picture. I had the same thing happen, and it started bowing when filled with water. Be very careful here and if you notice the tank starting to bow, then only fill it half way and start looking for a new tank. Your tank-stand alone was worth the money in my opinion. Tanks aren't too much cash. Sometimes they have a dollar-a-gallon deal at chain pet stores.
Hopefully someone will look at the pics and tell you I'm wrong. I really hope I'm wrong.
BTW, I had the same thing happen this year.

OH NO!!! It looks so beautiful but you may have a huge problem. It looks like your center brace is broken out of the middle of the tank! Look at the top picture. I had the same thing happen, and it started bowing when filled with water. Be very careful here and if you notice the tank starting to bow, then only fill it half way and start looking for a new tank. Your tank-stand alone was worth the money in my opinion. Tanks aren't too much cash. Sometimes they have a dollar-a-gallon deal at chain pet stores.

Hopefully someone will look at the pics and tell you I'm wrong. I really hope I'm wrong.

BTW, I had the same thing happen this year.

Yeah it is broken but it's fine. I can order a new one from AGA or somewhere online but I've tested the tank and it doesn't show signs of bowing.

So tested my parameters today, forgetting that I haven't even added an ammonia source yet. Everything read 0ppm, Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. So i just have pure water?.... lol all jokes aside I am going to be buying pure ammonia at the local hardware store tomorrow and begin dosing at 4ppm. Excited to get this cycle going in full swing! :D

So tested my parameters today, forgetting that I haven't even added an ammonia source yet. Everything read 0ppm, Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. So i just have pure water?.... lol all jokes aside I am going to be buying pure ammonia at the local hardware store tomorrow and begin dosing at 4ppm. Excited to get this cycle going in full swing! :D

Excited to see how this turns out.

Hey Everyone!

Just making sure nobody thinks I totally forgot about this thread, because I sure didnt! The tank has finally cycled and I've added my first few fish a couple days ago. I have a decent surprise in store. Stay Tuned! Photos to come soon.

Broken center brace is nothing to ignore, especially in a tall tank. Anubias shouldn't be planted in the substrate either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom