Surface Film and Agitation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohican

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm still experiencing some surface film on my 125. I currently have 2 canister filters with spray bars pointed towards surface. I was told this would help alieviate the problem but its still there. My question is should I add a HOB filter in-between the canisters or get a powerhead to add more surface movement? would this much surface aggitation difuse CO2 levels too?
Thanks.

If you already have noticeable levels of surface agitation, that should be enough. You might just try and wait it out at this point.

If your doing PPS-Pro that can sometimes happen. I had the same thing and learned to dose a little more carefully and scoop or suck out the film during water changes. For me it was gone after a few weeks and never returned.

I just moved the spraybars upward on Sunday so I guess I will just wait and see if it gets worse or clears up. I use pro method and dose about Tbsp per day of each. Plants are loving the water right now cux I have 3 sword plants with daughter plants. I do need to perform a water change, that has been weighing on my mind too; hard to do during the week (takes about 2-3 hrs total). I do have a couple HOB's on backup in case I need to add one for more circulation.

You don't need to do a big water change to get the scum out. The gravel vac type siphons can suck the film out in a minute or two and only remove a gallon or so of water. I've also removed the film with convalescent homes and even plain old paper towels (in saltwater tanks). If it comes back you can try alternating your micros and macros on different days for a week or two. After that just dose as normal, carefully adding each one to different sides of the tank.

No, I believe that's what they're called (or specimen containers). I just had to do a double-take because of my vivid imagination. I was picturing this home being used like a scoop...

Yeah, I'm weird like that.

You two are being silly... hope the film doesn't get on my home walls, lol.
I tried paper towels and not really sure it worked or not; hard to really tell.

Honestly, your spray-bar should take care of the problem over time. This mostly happens when the macros and micros are either overdosed or dosed to closely together in the tank.

Running an airstone at night, even for just a few hours can also be a big help. I run one on my moonlight timer. It comes on about 15 minutes before the lights go out and stays on for maybe four hours. I went this rout because my spraybar has an inline co2 reactor on it and I wanted it pointed down towards my plants. I still get some surface agitation from my second return nozzle.

Incidentally, I completely redid my whole tank today. Drained it, painted the back, removed the 5 year old Flourite and replaced it with Eco Complete. I put some of the plants back but I'm really waiting on new plants I ordered on Monday. Hopefully the storm doesn't interfere with shipping.

Maybe ill hook up my air pump and try that at night, thnx for the tip.

mohican said:
Maybe ill hook up my air pump and try that at night, thnx for the tip.

Anytime! (^_^) Though, you're probably more qualified to help people here than I am. Once my plants come in do you think you could give me a little advice on how to scape it? My camera sucks (or I just stink at using it) but I'll try to take a few decent pics and start a build thread.

Let us know when the film starts to clear up.

Anytime! (^_^) Though, you're probably more qualified to help people here than I am. Once my plants come in do you think you could give me a little advice on how to scape it? My camera sucks (or I just stink at using it) but I'll try to take a few decent pics and start a build thread.

Let us know when the film starts to clear up.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm no more qualified than anyone else, I just read as much as I can to learn as much as I can in the hobby. Its funny how you learn new stuff but forget the old basics information. It changes so much; people are always coming up with better information to do things. Anyway, I'd love to help, just send some pics.

You can get a surface skimmer that attaches to your canister filter's intake that will remove the surface film. It works well but I need to clean mine out. I have too many tanks to care any more about the small details like surface film but when I did care this thing did a good job of removing it.

Attachments

• image-653440426.jpg
    image-653440426.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 55
mohican said:
Thanks for the compliment! I'm no more qualified than anyone else, I just read as much as I can to learn as much as I can in the hobby. Its funny how you learn new stuff but forget the old basics information. It changes so much; people are always coming up with better information to do things. Anyway, I'd love to help, just send some pics.

I know just what you mean. My plants will be in tomorrow so I'll need to make a build thread either today or when they arrive. I'll definitely need some advice!

You can get a surface skimmer that attaches to your canister filter's intake that will remove the surface film. It works well but I need to clean mine out. I have too many tanks to care any more about the small details like surface film but when I did care this thing did a good job of removing it.

I've seen these, they work well you said? Would I need to get 1 for each canister or would 1 suffice for a 6 ft tank? Thoughts?

Those might absolutely kill your co2 though. The surface film should also eventually go away on its own without having to throw any additional money at it.

I'll consider that aqua-chem. Just more fun gadgets, lol.

I don't think the surface skimmer would agitate the surface any more than the spray bars already pointed at it. If the skimmer is working properly then the spray bars could point away from the surface and the surface agitation would be less.

Nitwig said:
I don't think the surface skimmer would agitate the surface any more than the spray bars already pointed at it. If the skimmer is working properly then the spray bars could point away from the surface and the surface agitation would be less.

Ah... what an excellent point. It could be worth trying. The plants would get better flow with the spray bars pointed down as well.

Back
Top Bottom