Surviving.. But not much else

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackwagon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a single anubias that hasn't grown any since I got it nearly a month ago. I haven't been dosing any ferts but I plan too once I buy more plants. I also don't have co2 setup. What can I do to make my plant(s) grow? Also what fertilizer does the forum recommend?

What are your lights and parameters like?

Anubias is a slow growing plant so I wouldn't expect rapid growth. Also, how do you have it in your tank: planted, tied, high, or low?

I know some people use flourish excel/comprehensive, dry frets, and or seachem root tabs

bigbanker said:
What are your lights and parameters like?

Anubias is a slow growing plant so I wouldn't expect rapid growth. Also, how do you have it in your tank: planted, tied, high, or low?

I know some people use flourish excel/comprehensive, dry frets, and or seachem root tabs

Lights are on for 8-9 hours a day (15w t8 bulbs)

Parameters are
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
<25 nitrate

The plant is tied with fishing line to and old bottom to a plastic plant I had that was weighted

Attachments

• image-1237976891.jpg
    image-1237976891.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 63
I agree that they are generally slow growers in low tech setups. If that rhizome is covered, you'll want to fully uncover it.

HN1 said:
I agree that they are generally slow growers in low tech setups. If that rhizome is covered, you'll want to fully uncover it.

Sorry to be the newbie here but why is a rhizome?

The bottom of the plant where the roots come out of. If it is buried for long, it will rot and the plant will die while potentially fouling your tank. Anubias also feed from the water column so growth may improve as a bonus.

HN1 said:
The bottom of the plant where the roots come out of. If it is buried for long, it will rot and the plant will die while potentially fouling your tank. Anubias also feed from the water column so growth may improve as a bonus.

But the roots can still be buried right?

Ok thanks are there any other low light plants that I can grow besides java fern?

Update:

I now have
Rotala indica/rotundifloria
Crypt wenditii
Crested java fern
Jungle Val
Anubias

Do any of these have a rhizome that needs to be uncovered? I know the anubias and java fern do but how about the others?

jackwagon said:
Update:

I now have
Rotala indica/rotundifloria
Crypt wenditii
Crested java fern
Jungle Val
Anubias

Do any of these have a rhizome that needs to be uncovered? I know the anubias and java fern do but how about the others?

The java fern and anubias.

Edit: whoops. Never mind, you know those two.

Back
Top Bottom