Switch from t5ho to led..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjldad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been running a 2x54w t5ho (10k) setup for a while. Entertaining the idea of going to led. What would be comparable to this setup?
Thanks!

What size tank and how deep is it? I use Build My Led fixtures which are very good quality and make specifically for planted tanks.

Oh lord.. Yes, I forgot the good info....

Standard 75g tank.. So 21" or so tall..

2 120w taotronics. I saw them on eBay for $120. A lot of people here like them. I'm going to get 3, hopefully sometime soon.

Do you have plants or just fish? A Build My Led will give pretty darn good light plus you can get the dimmer attachment and use the light from 10-100%. I use the 10% at night which allows me to run my lights longer without causing algae issues. Here's a link to show you all the various choices they have.... Freshwater - Build My LED, LLC.

Oh lord.. Yes, I forgot the good info....

Standard 75g tank.. So 21" or so tall..

A finnex ray 2 would be a tad brighter then a dual t5ho on a 75 gallon. You could look into them. Finnex is also coming out with a planted + fixture in a couple of months

Build my LED looks like the way I'll go.. I have some swords and a few other low light plants..

Build my LED looks like the way I'll go.. I have some swords and a few other low light plants..

Although I'm a Finnex fan, I'm far more impressed with the BuildMyLED fixtures. They use higher powered diodes, and plus the dimmer option would be perfect. Reason being is flexibility. This light can be dialed down for your current stocking of low light tolerant plants, with the ability to crank that puppy up down the road if you want to expand into more light demanding stem plants.

Other benefits of the BML are the full spectrum and resale value if you wanted to unload it for some reason.

Although I'm a Finnex fan, I'm far more impressed with the BuildMyLED fixtures. They use higher powered diodes, and plus the dimmer option would be perfect. Reason being is flexibility. This light can be dialed down for your current stocking of low light tolerant plants, with the ability to crank that puppy up down the road if you want to expand into more light demanding stem plants.

Other benefits of the BML are the full spectrum and resale value if you wanted to unload it for some reason.

True but at the same time my green plants thrive with just a ray 2 only problem is the red plants look pretty dull now. So if money isn't an option bml fixtures are good. But the finnex can hold its own with a 150 dollar price tag.

Went ahead and ordered the BML 10000k light. Also have a Reefkeeper ALC module coming to do the controlling of the fixture.. Should be fun and a nice upgrade from my T5HO setup. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Is there a reason you went with a 10K? If you have any non green plants in the tank that spectrum is going to make them look really washed out.

It's what I've always ran with my t5 setup because I didn't like the look of the 6700k.
The BML site says it should enhance the reds and purples.. We'll see I guess. :)

Back
Top Bottom