Switching Filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a 38 gallon planted aquarium. It's still cycling and to cycle I'm using three platies.

For mechanical filtration I have an HOB filter for 30-45 gallons. I have a big stock planned so I think I will have to have more filtration someday.

How should I get the filtration I'll need? Would adding a second HOB filter be sufficient or do you think I'll have to switch to a canister filter?

My stock is:
3 red wag platies
6 panda cory cats
9 neon tetras
5 gold dust mollies
1 betta fish
3 african dwarf frogs

Thanks!

You can go with either (2 HOB's or 1 really good canister). It all depends on your budget and what will satisfy you aesthetically because both can do the job. I REALLY like canisters though for their efficiency, visual appeal, and quiet performance.

Hmm I have to think about it. It think I'll just get another HOB because it'll be cheaper and easier for me and I like them for aeration. Maybe one day I'll upgrade to a canister.

The thing thats getting me here is no matter what stock you put in the tank, its only 38 gal. Your current filter should be fine as it seems to be rated above your tank size. Having more filtration doesn't mean you can have more inhabitants.

I know but having more filtration makes me feel better and cleaner, and I like the surface agitation.

Yeah i agree.. I prefer to be over-filtered myself, despite stocking. For example, my 10g dwarf puffer tank has 3 tiny puffs as its sole inhabitants, yet my Fluval c2 i chose for the tank is rated for up to 30 gallons. I have crystal clear water, parameters are optimal, and the extra filter capacity adds to the overall water volume (plus media surface area for the nitrification process).

One other positive for the OP's interest in adding a second HOB (aside from the aforementioned agitation, and assuming they'll be placed on opposite ends), would be extra circulation. This can reduce dead spots in the tank where nutrient build up can lead to algae.

What's your budget? There are canister filters that can be had for about $50 that are appropriate for a tank that size.

I'm really broke right now. I've got to save up for something for my bird. But I had an emergency today and now have to get a couple of bubblers. I'd also like a little more circulation. The tank water is pretty still right now. I don't have anything for water movement because I plan on getting a betta, so another HOB would help a lot.

I have an Aquaclear 50 as well as an Aquaclear 20 on my 38 gallon planted tank. I'm happy with the set-up, just the right amount of water flow for my liking.

Back
Top Bottom