Switching from fake to live plants in my 75 community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartinBlank

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 75 FW community tank that has been up and running with fish in it for close to a year now. I have decided I want to go from fake to live plants. I plan on keeping this a low-tech (and low-light) set up.

I have upgraded my light so am now at 1.44 watts per gallon or thereabouts and they are on for 11 hours per day. The tank is in the basement so gets basically 0 sunlight. I have not had any algae issues so far.

My substrate is sand (pool filter sand to be precise). I do a 20-30% water change weekly and work the sand over then, but there is still the remnants of a year's worth of fish poop in there :) Hoping that helps.

I will be dosing liquid ferts (Flourish)

I have done some reading and looking and these are the plants that I am currently planning on "giving a go" so to speak:

Java Moss - Vesicularia dubyana
Dwarf Hairgrass
Dwarf Anubias (Anubia Nana)
Giant Anubias - Anubias barteri
Dwarf Sagittaria - Sagittaria subulata
Cryptocoryne spiralis
Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus
Amazon Sword - Echinodorus amazonicus
Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)

Cambomba

On to my questions:

1. Are there any plants on that list that fit into the "You're insane if you think that plant will work in your set up" catagory? I have a feeling that the Amazon Sword may be the biggest "if" in the list, but my wife loves sword plants and so I have to at least try :flowers:

2. Are there any plants that I am missing? Any plants that are great low-light candidates that are attractive and a good beginner plant?

3. Flame Moss? I have seen some pictures of it and I like it a lot, but can't seem to find any US sellers and have heard stories about dealing with customs etc. Anybody out there have a source?

4. Filling out a 75 with plants will be a large undertaking (and a lot of plants). Any advice on good places to get plants? Checked LFS in my area. They don't have all the kinds of plants I am interested in, and the ones they have don't look to swell. I have bought a few plants (java ferns, a bit of dwarf hairgrass and a single amazon) from the local Petco. But that is going to get pricey quick. Anybody use Aquabid? Or Ebay? Any other sources out there that I should know about?

I am probably missing some other important questions but that is what I have now. I know I know that I should have pictures for the "before" shots. :) Ah well.

Thanks

Anarchis is a good starter! As for the sword... It'll be fine... The problem is that it'll take over your tank! Lol

The cambomba is the only one I see that I think will not work, though it will not hurt to try. What type of lights do you have? I would recommend some anacharis at least for the start to get things rolling. it is a great starter plant. I have some Christmas moss I could spare if you wish.

I buy most plants for aquabid and fellow aquarists on sites like this. Check the classifieds.

Check the classifieds and aquabid.com. I get my stuff from mikeswetpets. He's local to me and will take care of you. If you contact him and tell him what you have he can make a package for you. As far as customs dealings, try to stay away. The plants will be dead if they get hung up for any reason and you could be in trouble for dealing with them.

Fdsh5 said:
Check the classifieds and aquabid.com. I get my stuff from mikeswetpets on aquabid. He's local to me and will take care of you. If you contact him and tell him what you have he can make a package for you. As far as customs dealings, try to stay away. The plants will be dead if they get hung up for any reason and you could be in trouble for dealing with them.

Edit

Java Moss - Vesicularia dubyana
Dwarf Hairgrass
Dwarf Anubias (Anubia Nana)
Giant Anubias - Anubias barteri
Dwarf Sagittaria - Sagittaria subulata
Cryptocoryne spiralis
Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus
Amazon Sword - Echinodorus amazonicus
Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)

Cambomba

On to my questions:

1. Are there any plants on that list that fit into the "You're insane if you think that plant will work in your set up" catagory? I have a feeling that the Amazon Sword may be the biggest "if" in the list, but my wife loves sword plants and so I have to at least try :flowers:

4. Filling out a 75 with plants will be a large undertaking (and a lot of plants). Any advice on good places to get plants? Checked LFS in my area. They don't have all the kinds of plants I am interested in, and the ones they have don't look to swell. I have bought a few plants (java ferns, a bit of dwarf hairgrass and a single amazon) from the local Petco. But that is going to get pricey quick. Anybody use Aquabid? Or Ebay? Any other sources out there that I should know about?

Looks like you did your research ... IMO you have a good list of low maintenance plants. As homedog 98 said .. anarcharis is worth having .. it can be floated or planted .. low maintenance grows in practically any light.
Bamboo might also be a consideration .. it's a slow grower .. at least mine is but they're not demanding plants.

A- Sword is worth getting at the petco plant tank so you can look for ones that has runners/ shoots which produce the new amazon swords. This way you can few more once it planted. Just make sure they don't break the shoot off when bagging it!:facepalm: Sword can quickly .. under good lighting and nutrient conditions grow quickly ... which is why you can easily find your running out of space in your tank ... it can happen.

The link below if you don't have it yet ... is a great source IMO
Good luck!

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

Thanks a ton for the feedback.

I have a dual lamp T5 fixture with two 54w bulbs in the 6500 range.

I will take a look at anarchis as well.

Thanks again!

Anacharis (Egeria densa) is similar enough to Cabomba that it can probably replace it in the list.

Thanks for the tip! :)

Cabomba might be an issue and the DHG needs a lot of light to grow well.

PlantGeek.net - Eleocharis acicularis

I have some Dwarf Hair Grass in the tank now (a spontaneous purchase at PetsMart) we'll see how it goes. If it fails I will probably look at marsilea hirsuta as a ground cover. Or I have read notes from people that just kept some Water Wisteria trimmed really low and used that as ground cover...

Anyway.. really appreciate all the tips

Oh yeah, another tip with anarchis. Don't declare it dead until it's mushy and floating. I was about to uproot mine when it started growing!

So I have some water concerns... and need some advice...

The pH straight out of the tap is 7.6 or so. But after sitting out 24 hours it rises to 8.2-8.3 range.
The kH is literally off the scale of my API Gh / kH test kit
The gH is basically nil (I have a water softener), I don't really have a feasible source of unsoftened water when it comes to water changes for a 75 gallon.

So, is this a barren wasteland for plants? It seems I want the gH up at least a bit (using Equilibirum perhaps?). I don't want to try and mess with the pH (I am sticking to livebearers and hardier fish that can handle the high pH)....

So far I am in my trial period of an Amazon sword and 3 java ferns. I am noticing one of the Java Ferns getting dark spots on the leaves (like little black spots on the tops of the leaves, not bottom).

Am I basically doomed with that water?
icon_smile.gif
Or are there reasonably simple things I can do that will make things a bit happier for plants in my tank but not affect the fish (Equilibirum?)? I really would prefer to keep things simple though...

What are the things you think I need to do to have a good low light / low tech system going? Also are any of my plants basically going to be impossible in my setup?

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom