Switching from Flourite to Organic Soil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I have a 20H and a 5g that both have plants. I started with the 20H over a month ago and have a few plants that are yellowing. For the 5g, in the past 2-3 weeks I used organic soil/capped with black sand and used plant clippings from the 20H (from every plant I own) and it is doing well and I haven't done anything other than planting them and used flourish comp/excel 1-2x during this whole time and the plants that are yellowing in the 20H are not yellowing in the 5g (both have same lighting, cfl).

I really want to switch from flourite to organic soil, so, I want to know how do I do this transformation with the plants in (fish will be removed into a bucket with filter, etc)?

Also, do swords need shade with little light or do they need alot of light (I already know they are nutrient hogs..lol)?

Here is what it looks like now:
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Geronica's Album: My first planted tank - Picture

This next one is my amazon sword, moved from middle to corner, is it lacking any light or okay?
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Geronica's Album: My first planted tank - Picture

I think this plant has a rhizome, how do I make it into two the right way?

Okay, I have a 20H and a 5g that both have plants. I started with the 20H over a month ago and have a few plants that are yellowing. For the 5g, in the past 2-3 weeks I used organic soil/capped with black sand and used plant clippings from the 20H (from every plant I own) and it is doing well and I haven't done anything other than planting them and used flourish comp/excel 1-2x during this whole time and the plants that are yellowing in the 20H are not yellowing in the 5g (both have same lighting, cfl).

I really want to switch from flourite to organic soil, so, I want to know how do I do this transformation with the plants in (fish will be removed into a bucket with filter, etc)?

Also, do swords need shade with little light or do they need alot of light (I already know they are nutrient hogs..lol)?

Here is what it looks like now:

This next one is my amazon sword, moved from middle to corner, is it lacking any light or okay?

I think this plant has a rhizome, how do I make it into two the right way?

The plants in your 20h may not be getting sufficient light. There's less distance between the light and the substrate in the 5g. The plants in the 20h are further away from the light which lessens the intensity.

Flourite needs some sort of root tabs added for root feeding plants. I have a 20H that had Flourite and root tabs that grew masses of plants for over 5 years. If I let it go a long time without root tabs I had less growth. You may also need to fertilize more with liquids.

Still, if you want to go with soil it's pretty involved. I also completely emptied out my 20H four weeks ago today and changes the substrate from Flourite to Eco Complete. I put all the livestock and filter media in a bucket with a heater and an airstone, drained the tank, changes out the substrate, filled it back up and replanted. Then it was just a matter of refilling and dechlorinating the water, letting it come back up to temp with the filter empty but running, then adding back the filter media and reacclimating the fauna. It took a while but everybody made it.

It's fine to use soil but you can definitely grow lots of healthy plants with Flourite. If they are showing decencies it isn't due to the substrate. It should be used with both the appropriate substrate ferts and column ferts to get results.

If you want to switch that tank over you need to keep the fish out for a day if at all possible. You'll have to move them and get rid of most of the flourite and then do the dirt proceedure as in the 5g, and cap but again remember to save some cap for touch up after planting. Then get your plants in and see how the water looks. If it looks faily clear without alot of floaties then I'd dose with Prime and readd a couple of your hardiest fish and see how they are the first 30 minutes to an hour and add the rest if all looks okay. You'll have your seeded filter back on but your still going to have to test for a mini cycle. I would also consider doing a big WC for a couple/few days afterwards even if your ammonia/nitrite readings are okay. But more frequently if your ammonia/nitrite goes up.

The plants in your 20h may not be getting sufficient light. There's less distance between the light and the substrate in the 5g. The plants in the 20h are further away from the light which lessens the intensity.

Thats why I have double the light

Flourite needs some sort of root tabs added for root feeding plants. I have a 20H that had Flourite and root tabs that grew masses of plants for over 5 years. If I let it go a long time without root tabs I had less growth. You may also need to fertilize more with liquids.

Still, if you want to go with soil it's pretty involved. I also completely emptied out my 20H four weeks ago today and changes the substrate from Flourite to Eco Complete. I put all the livestock and filter media in a bucket with a heater and an airstone, drained the tank, changes out the substrate, filled it back up and replanted. Then it was just a matter of refilling and dechlorinating the water, letting it come back up to temp with the filter empty but running, then adding back the filter media and reacclimating the fauna. It took a while but everybody made it.

It's fine to use soil but you can definitely grow lots of healthy plants with Flourite. If they are showing decencies it isn't due to the substrate. It should be used with both the appropriate substrate ferts and column ferts to get results.

I use api root tabs and flourish comp 2x week/excel 2ml daily...so I don't feel that is it..idk though...

Geronica said:
I use api root tabs and flourish comp 2x week/excel 2ml daily...so I don't feel that is it..idk though...

You can try to clip off the weak leaves and see if healthy ones take their place. Many aquarium plants are farmed only partially under water and when submerged in our tanks the existing leaves have to either die off or be cut off (the better option). New healthier leaves will soon grow back.

What light bulbs are you using over this tank? (wattage and color temp)

Geronica said:
BTW...I noticed no one replied to question 2 & 3...any suggestions/advice/comment?

I'd get all the plants happy and healthy before separating them. Are these in the 5 or the 20?

The sword looks okay from what I can see but due to them being heavy root feeder a root tab will always help make/keep them healthy. On the 3rd pic The one on the right looks to be a crypt which you can pull up and divide into as many little plants as you want. The plant on the left I am unfamilar with but appears to be a stem plant.

Back
Top Bottom