Switching from gravel for plants to ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coursair
when my wife and daughter bought it they were asked buy person at the big chain Pet Store about out tank and said it would be fine.
It is a common pleco I researched on line. However I have a friend that has a huge tank 6 foot long and three feet talk and 2 feet wife. He has 2 Oscar in there he said he would take him. It only seems like a problem when plecos are small. So I will keep him until out grows my tank then move him.

Coursair
when my wife and daughter bought it they were asked buy person at the big chain Pet Store about out tank and said it would be fine.
It is a common pleco I researched on line. However I have a friend that has a huge tank 6 foot long and three feet talk and 2 feet wife. He has 2 Oscar in there he said he would take him. It only seems like a problem when plecos are small. So I will keep him until out grows my tank then move him.

That's great but just a thought. Big fish need big tanks to grow at a normal pace. Plecos kept in tiny tanks tend to have a lot of health issues and it stunts growth , which shortens lifespan. Your fish can live 20 + years with proper care.

To go in with Oscars I'd think he'd need to be over 6" (?), which he won't reach in your tank without adding huge amounts of ammonia.
If he gets that big in a 10g at all.

I'd ask the Oscar keepers on here at what size he should be safe ??

Again, your fish, your tank. Just throwing my thoughts out.

??????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coursair
Why do you think I have 10 gallon tank?

Coursair
Why do you think I have 10 gallon tank?

Apologies ? posting when tired is bad. Too many threads. Get people's tanks mixed up. Arrgghh.

Someone else has a Pleco in a 10g.

Only a few Pleco species are recommended for Planted tanks. Bristlenose , Pitbull , Clown and other small species that won't destroy the tank.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corsair
Not to be an ahole but since you ripped into me about knowing my facts what size tank do you think I have?

Corsair
Not to be an ahole but since you ripped into me about knowing my facts what size tank do you think I have?

It looks like a 55g ? Hard to tell from pics and I didn't see that you mentioned exact size. Your profile doesn't say. I view this forum via my phone, so not the full site.

I'm just saying Common Plecos tend to be bulldozers in planted tanks.

I think they are great fish. We used to run a "Pleco Exchange" at my work. We had a waiting list for big Plecos. When someone needed a new home we'd take the fish in and call the next on the list. We didn't charge any money. Just wanted them in good homes. Some went into a 1,000g heated pond. Some went into 300g Cichlid tanks.

I'd never seen just how big Commons and Sailfins got, till I was working in fish stores.

Now I sell Wine. Much easier in some ways ?

Sorry if you felt I was too pushy. I'll step off the soapbox and let you get back to enjoying your fish.

So what size is your tank ?

Coursair
Apology accepted. I have a 30 gallon tank. The pleco is 6in inches long so I think he is big enough to go I into the oscar tank(from doing research). I'm going to get couple of pieces of driftwood for him to go under he seems to like that and my friend had no problems adding that to his tank.

Do you think a bristle nose pleco would be a good replacement. And would they dig in the sand as much.

Thanks Pete

Coursair
Apology accepted. I have a 30 gallon tank. The pleco is 6in inches long so I think he is big enough to go I into the oscar tank(from doing research). I'm going to get couple of pieces of driftwood for him to go under he seems to like that and my friend had no problems adding that to his tank.

Do you think a bristle nose pleco would be a good replacement. And would they dig in the sand as much.

Thanks Pete

A BN Pleco might eat Sword plants if you have those. They still have a big bio load for their size.

You might look at a group of Otos.
Or a clown Pleco and have wood for it to eat. Or a Pitbull Pleco.

Maybe I'll keep planted tank pleco free I have another 30 gallon I will get one of those 3 plecos for. Thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom