switching from plastic to real plants. need some info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've decided that it's time that I put some real plant in my tank. I've got and eclipse 12 set up and it's somewhat close to a window so lighting shouldn't be a problem. I have about 12 lbs. of gravel in my tank and was wondering if I should pot the plants or root them into the gravel. If I can root them into the gravel, how would I go about using the gravel vac? If I can't root them in gravel, would you suggest changing my gravel to something else?

If you really want to make the plants grow then get some of the new Eco-Complete substrate and replace the gravel with it. Then plant your plants in the gravel.

It really depends on the types of plants you want to grow. Stem plants will work fine with gravel. So will java moss and java fern.

I wouldn't rely on window light though as a light source. If your tank lights aren't too high then buy low light plants (such as Java Fern) which can look just as nice and require less work.

If you have an established tank then there is probably a lot of dirt built up in the gravel which can work for many rooting plants. As for the gravel vacuum, well in a planted tank you don't really need to use it as the poop and other things work as fertilizer for the plants. Just brush the gravel vac above the gravel to pick up excess food and stuff.

Originally posted by tkos
I wouldn't rely on window light though as a light source
Definitely agree, not onely will it increes your water temptiture drastictly. But it will grow lots of algea. Use a light/hood like the Perfecto Light.

As for easy plants to grow in your aquarium try bamboo. It's a tropical plant that you normally put in distilled water anyway, actually fish water will act as a natural fertalizer so your bamboo will just tack off. Onely bamboo dosn't like direct sunlight, but it's not a good idea to have your aqurium in the sun anyway.

as someone who has recently switched, I can fill you in. It isn't a good idea to put your tank near a window, and especially not good to use it as a primary light source. Java moss and Java Fern are good starter plants, though I've had good luck with Amazon Swordplant and Wisteria. With the gravel vac, You still can use it, but don't push deep onto the gravel or you'll wreck the roots. You can pot or root your plants, though personally I think rooted plants look better. Don't bother to change your substrate, (gravel) roots can weave through gravel well.

do you have the eclipse 12 with original lighting in the hood? if so then that is not enough light for most live plants...java fern, and moss might make it and anubias nana will thrive, but there is not much else you can grow with that hood. i had an eclipse 12 also and thats all i could grow in there. dont forget to give the plants some food also to help them along.

as for gravel, to really get the low light plants going, try what rex suggested.

you can retrofit higher lighting in but with that money you can just go out and get a whole new setup...if you want to do that then go for either the complete nano tank selling on www.aquabotanic.com or find the tank made by Jebo...costs about $80 for the jebo. good luck whatever you decide on!

heres a pic of my jebo i just set up...

8gal1.jpg

You can get some aquarium plant bulbs in the fish section of Wal Mart, just whip them in there and they will start growing, and root themselves. I have added about 30 of these things to my 70gal fresh tank and they work great. Cheaper than buying already grown plants too IMO. I think they were dwarf lilies and there was another kind too, spongi-something. :)

Back
Top Bottom