Switching gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a big layer of potting mix under black tahitian sand. I have a bit of wood chips from the potting mix that are on top of the sand, but it still looks pretty natural. White sand and dirt seems a little too contrast. Otherwise, the sand on top tends to stay that way. The dirt becomes a clay-like layer that doesn't go anywhere. If I'm planting or otherwise disturbing the bottom of my tank, it's little black specks of sand that get tossed into the water, not the dirt. Took about three days after adding water for it to settle down, even with filtration running. About half a day any time I move or add plants. Really not a big deal. Also, fish poop tends to blend in better with the black sand, dirt, and wood fragments. That could be good or bad, depending on your circumstances.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Miracle grow organic potting mix. Organic is key. No chemical fertilizers. Also, who knows what's in the dirt in your back yard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What I think I will do is get the composted topsoil that i have sitting around (I have a 1/4 acre yard we always have store bought topsoil) I will get some pool filter sand. I will ask my science teacher for some Malaysia trumpet snails I will have them in a empty 1/2 gallon tank and let them reproduce until I have about 35 or more than switch to the dirt/sand and re-scape the aquarium. If I cannot Handel the MTS population I will find some assassin snails. Or is there any other ideas?

I will keep posting on what happens
Thanks to all who helped

If you are dirting a tank I would suggest against the MTS as you don't want your substrate disturbed.

I got an assassin snail today because the LFS had them cheep.

I haven't made the switch yet because the MTS population hasn't grown much yet.

I have been collecting rocks and driftwood for decor and have being doing research on how to clean them.

Progress is being made but I haven't got any sand yet, I haven't been around any hardware stores and when I am I'm on my bike. no car to get sand home with. under 16 no drivers license yet.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404854858.269689.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404854903.308134.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404854949.123512.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404855014.083842.jpg

Do you guys and gals think this is all aquarium safe? I have done the vinegar test on all the rocks none bubbled. I can't stick my finger nail into the drift wood.

Looks ok. Maybe give the rocks a quick bath in bleach solution than pour boiling water over them. I usually just boil water and once it stops the rapid boil, let the rocks sit in there for a few minutes.. i boil wood that will fit. Other wise I pour boiling water over the wood

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom