Switching gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cold Canadian

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I am wanting to change my cycled aquarium substrate to sand I am still rated new to the hobby and need some help

1 what kind of sand should I use. I've heard about pool filter sand and river sand I should be able to get those easily.

2 how should I put the sand in without harming fish and live plants (my theory is to put them in 5 gallon buckets and and put the sand in dry than put the water back in plants then fish)

3 will I need MTS to stir sand to keep out the gas bubbles. or would my four Cory cats be good to stir up 1 1/4'' to 2'' of sand and if I need MTS what about assassin snails would they also eat small fry and pond snails.

4 how do I clean sand before I put it in and while in the tank?

Thanks for any help.

Use pool filter sand. As far as everything else put it in buckets with bubblers and heater. Go and buy some api quick start or stress zyme to prevent swings in parameters which could kill your fish.

I recently switched mine from black Walmart aquarium gravel to Black Diamond blasting sand. This is marketed as abrasive material for sand-blasting, but can be used in tanks. Check out some Google images of it.

I pulled all my plants, heater, filter, fish and put them in a 5 gallon bucket. I removed as much water from the tank as I could and then removed about 1/2 the gravel. I was going to do a gravel bottom with sand cap, but since then I have stirred it up a little so it is more a gravel-sand mix, but more-so sand.

Dumped the sand in the tank, and then the frustration started, lol. Sand has a tendency to float because tiny air bubbles will cling to the grains and pull them upwards. It takes MANY hours for all the air to be removed and for the sand to finally settle. I think I left my fish out for at least a day before reintroducing them. I also put the canister filter back in and turned it on to help get some of the floaters out. I wasn't too fond of sucking sand in the filter, but it sped it up quickly and I cleaned it afterwards.

Ok thanks for the info for the sand. I will look into the sandblasting sand
And do I need MTS to stir the sand all the Internet research says toxic bulbs will form in the sand ant that you need MTS to stir it. ( I have pond snails and rams horn snails and have had outbreaks before would the MTS be better or worse) if needed I can get assassin snails to keep them in check. Thanks again for the responses. (-:

No but they wouldnt do any harm. I have nerite snails and thay are great. They dont multiply and destroy the algae. If your getting pool filter sand look into dirting your tank. I have all of my tanks dirted with pool filter sand as a cap.

Id seriously consider looking into dirting your tank and getting more plants then. I mean your already buying pfs so it would only be like 10 bucks more for the dirt. If you would like i could give you instructions on how to do it.

I would not like to have layers I did that with my gravel and I don't like how it looks

I might get more plants thou they are reproducing them self

Back
Top Bottom