Switching my reef to freshwater next week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farhan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello every one !!!

I'm switching my 30 G saltwater tank to a fresh water because I give up on reef . I gave few Qs need your help ,
- I have two koralia power heads 750 G/H are they good to keep a good water flow in the tank because in future I want to have some plants ?
- I read some reviews about too much water flow in fresh water tank may cause fishes to be unhappy ? OR there are some kinds which doesn't bother much water movements , Name please ?
I have few more Qs but for now that's all , help please .

Attachments

• image-2571978489.jpg
    image-2571978489.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 54
  • image-958417569.jpg
    image-958417569.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 60
I have 2 of those exact same powerheads (same size also) and they were way too powerful for plants and I have a 220g. Ended up getting the smallest nano Koralia pumps (240gph) to use at each end of my tank, only because of the tank size. Depending on what filters you use in that size tank you shouldn't need powerheads.

Thanks for reply rivercats, I'm thinking of buying a canister filter but didn't decided yet which one , I'm Aldo adding some dead rocks too do still you think it's way too powerfully for them ?

i have a fluval 305 canister, and i really like it. if you like fluval, you could get a 205, or a 206. the 206 is the newer midel, so its a but more expensive. i also looked at rena, and they had nice looking canisters. you could also do a spray bar, too keep the flow from pushing over plants.

Sorry but this thread makes me sad :'( .. a rena xp1-2 or fluval 204,5,6 would be a good choice though.

Thanks guys I'm getting close mis to my answer with your help , and I'm definitely looking into fluval 206 filter now , and adding spry tubing for plant so do I need power heads even after this filter for my 30g tank ?

no, your spray bar should be enough flow.

Even with rocks in a tank that small everyone will get blown away. With a good canister filter you shouldn't need any extra filtration/current. One the 55's we have Fluval 406, so a 306 maybe even a 206 (never used one that small so don't know what the flow is like) would probably be super filtration with alot of flow. Aim the flow across the top towards the front of the tank and it will blow/circulate all around the tank.

Oh thank you im getting a spray bar so if I plant it on the rear wall of the rank facing front at 45' angle downwards or straight to to water level should be ok ?

Should be fine. I just got used to not using the spray bars and directing the full flow at the tank front. For me I just felt the spray bar cut down the force of the outflow. It will give you a larger outflow area tho.

Yes you got a point about spray bar I may not need the bar cause it's already a 30 g tank flow should be enough ,
As I said I'm adding some plants and rocks so how being assure there will not remain a dead spots to avoid gases and stuff ?

If your canister is large enough on a 30g tank positioning the outflow at one end of the tank and aiming it straight across and slightly upwards will allow it to hit the front wall and literally flow the water completely across the through the tank. I always use this method on my smaller tanks. Now I have a 55g fancy goldfish tank for my granddaughter and on it I used the 406 which gave me a good flow. But the fish are so big now and have a very heavy bio-load I added a Wisper 70 at the other end to make a cross current to keep thier "mess" suspended for added filter removal. I seriously doubt you will have any dead spot issues. You want you plants to gently sway and to have gentle ripples on the water surface. It's totally different than reef keeping. I have large reefs for years before switching back to planted FW and it's hard to get out of that mode of thinking when it comes to water flow!

lol I know I can't imagine now a stand still water because I first started reef so I'm totally new in freshwater , I used to see water waving around my tank so that's why it was my concern , thanks for advice again I may need your assistance in future as I do setup of my tank I'll update you with some pictures ,
Cheers .

Back
Top Bottom