Switching to Eco Complete on a budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm finally getting around to switching to a dark substrate and wanted to go with eco complete. I'm on a pretty tight fish-related budget and was thinking about using the eco complete to cap less expensive chain store black sand.

If I go with half and half, would this negate any benefits of the eco complete or is it still better than nothing?

Also a side question: Eco complete has a smaller overall grain size than Floramax, right?

Thanks guys.

You can use Eco with sand but eventually the two will mix just so you know. I actually used organic potting soil and capped it with Eco-complete in my 220g.

I have never used Floramax so can help you with this.

I used a 50/50 mix of EC and black blasting sand (super cheap). Works great.

I would skip the EC completely if it were me. I tried it in my 30g a while back and still had to keep the autodosers filled up. If it were me I would skip the eco and use that money towards more plants. If you like the black substrate, go with black blasting sand as mentioned.

Expensive specialized substrate or no, you still have to fertilize. The stuff doesn't add any nutrients to speak of, it's just there to help hold on to them for the benefit of root feeders.

But anyway, I don't personally like the look of straight blasting sand. Looks like an oil tanker had a spill just off the coast. But, mix it with something that gives it a bit of texture and grain size variance and it looks great.

I just did an inch of regular black aquarium gravel capped with eco complete in one of my tanks. You can't even tell the difference between the two unless you get right up to the glass and look at it.

I would go with that.

Thanks guys for the replies. Yeah I assumed it would mix. The finer grains (cheapo sand) should eventually settle on the bottom right? Although I just checked online and the store brand sand is only a few bucks cheaper than eco online haha. Oh well.

Just trying to get the best quality black substrate on a budget.

For the blasting sand it's coal slag right? Anything to look out for when purchasing it?

I'm just going to bite the bullet and go with all eco complete.

Is there anything to watch for during a full substrate change in a mature tank such as mini cycles? Also would it help my fish acclimate easier if I save as much tank water as possible?

I started thinking... (Always dangerous lol)

My original plan of attack was to remove the fish and most of the existing water. Then I was going to scoop out all of the sand and add the eco in and fill back up with both old and new water.

Would it be feasible to just leave the fish in there and use my python to suck out all the sand??? That seems like it would take half the time and I don't need to really stress out the fish.

I don't think you would see a mini cycle as most of the bacteria live in your filter. As long as the filter media stays wet you should lose any bacteria.

Do you have an extra tank? You could just move your fish and filter over to and then get the sand out. I think it would cause more stress on them being left in the tank because you'd constantly have to be refilling the tank because of the water level dropping.

Yeah I do and I have 30 gallon tubs I was originally going to use. I was thinking the siphon might work since its 50 gallons and if I take the attachment tube off it might get it out faster than the water level dropped. I'll give it some more thought lol

I still think that you digging around in there with fish in will stress them out more, but that's just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom