Switching to flourite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm switching out my substrate in my 20g extra high from gravel to flourite. I put a 15.4 lb bag of flourite in a 5 gallon bucket and rinsed. Man! that is some dirty, dusty stuff. :eek: After 5 or so rinses I could almost get an inch of clairty in the water. After 20 minuites of rinsing I decided to go ahead and fill the bucket up a couple inches over the top of the flourite and put a lid on it. Hopefully I will get a chance this weekend to work on the tank. I think the more I rinse the stuff the more dust is released since it is basically clay. If I keep it submerged and not dry it out I'm hoping to keep the dust and cloudiness to a minimum.

I have a bale of organic sphagum peat that I'm going to take a few handfulls of and dirty the bottom of the tank with <1" of it, then lay the flourite over it.

I filled a tray in my canister up with peat packed into a stocking and it dropped the pH of my tank from 7.6 to 7.2. Thats with a Kh of 10, which is my tap water. I'm going to try a phosphate free acid buffer, which should parcipitate some of the calcium into CO2, and aim for a Kh of 1-3. Together with the Peat, I'm aiming for a pH of 6.2-6.6 and softer water. I'd like to see if I can get my plants to really take off with the new substrate and some ideal water parameters for them. Since its only a 20g, I dose with Excel instead of setting up CO2 injection.

Incedentally my 15.4 lbs of flourite weighed in at 17lbs! - it was cut open and resealed in the store, so they must have combined two bags that had been accidentally opened and added an extra pound and a half to my bag!:dance:

As you mentioned fluorite is clay. It is messy stuff. Rinse once, then slowly add to tank. Water will look like crap for a day or so, but it will settle out. If you keep rinsing it, it is eventually going to just all wash down the drain.

For excel dosing, if you plan to do it long term, you can buy a gallon of glutaraldehyde on Amazon, dilute it with 1.6 gallons of distilled water, and have 2.6 gallons of "excel" for less than 30 bucks. Good economically way to dose the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom