Sword plants turning brown at stems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ruffle sword ... The brown starts from the bottom of the stem and creeps its way up to the leaf

Med light tank, excel and osmocote root tabs.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Ruffle sword ... The brown starts from the bottom of the stem and creeps its way up to the leaf

Med light tank, excel and osmocote root tabs.

Are they on the outside of the stem or the inside? I don't know much but I've heard you need to remove the older outer leaves regularly as part of sword maintenance. Is it possible the plant is shedding these leaves to invest energy in to newer leaves?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are these new plants? most swords are not grown underwater so when they are placed underwater they will start to brown out. You need to remove the stem from the crown peel it as far down on the plant as you can this will cause another stem to shoot right back up

Are they on the outside of the stem or the inside? I don't know much but I've heard you need to remove the older outer leaves regularly as part of sword maintenance. Is it possible the plant is shedding these leaves to invest energy in to newer leaves?

+1

My Amazon sword does this sometimes. Water Sprite especially. Sheds the old stems to bring in new ones.

Caleb

Not new plants. I seem to be losing the whole thing?

Not new plants. I seem to be losing the whole thing?

Another reason for browning roots/stems could be metal toxicity or hydrogen sulphide poising. Is this possible?

Back
Top Bottom