Sword question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Could it be my amazon swords don't thrive because of the cooler temp my tank is at? There is no heater and the tank stays at room temperature. It's fall here in Georgia.

Hi amazon swords are greedy feeders so need plenty of nutrients available at root level,also i am guessing you are not planting them too deep?

Hmm your right they aren't that deep in my twenty gallon. Those are the swords I'm having trouble with. Would that affect there growth? I do dose osmocote regular or however you spell it.

I have issues with my swords as well. leaf by leaf they seem to just start turning yellow, and even transparent. I just ordered Seachem root tabs, and comprehensive plant supplement. I'm hoping this will help. I also mixed sand in with my gravel to add a firmer texture to my substrate. With the CO2 running and lighting (1 54watt T5 HO, and 1 54 watt aquaflora), i'm hoping things turn around....pesky swords.

your thoughts?

Kagochi

Since I've cut my sword back, replanted and shoved some osmocote fruit and veggie under, my second oldest sword seems to be growing full force. I'm waiting for larger leaves to post a pic.

While replanting some new amazon swords, I wrapped some osmocote in a coffee filter and jabbed it down into the gravel directly under the sword plants. The coffee filter paper is thick enough to hold the small granules together while you place in further down.

that sounds interesting, and makes logical sense. I am off to get osmocote fruit and veggie then. Is there a particular reason you chose fruit and veggie and not another type?

I only find osmocote fruit and veggie at the stores I go to. By all means if you find osmocote plus "+" get it because it has micro nutrients.

I put about three pinches of osmocote per coffee filter pouch. I haven't perfected it yet so theres a lot of room for trial and error. The pouches just make it easier to put right next to the roots or right under.

Hi yes swords can be a strange plant to grow!:ermm: Mine that are in the shady part of the tank have died off but the ones in more direct light are still growing,so strong light is essential:). Great idea about putting the ferts in by the roots(y)

This is my sword after burying deeper, the leaves are all new. It had no leaves when I started this. Using solely osmocote fruit and veggie.

Attachments

• image-605921037.jpg
    image-605921037.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 53
wow! that is impressive man. What type of substrate do you have? I have a mixture of sand and gravel. I hope this will suffice cause I am not trying to change my substrate any time soon. I saw online where I can get the osmocote plus. I hear there are nutrients in that particular type that will help my plants.
Thanks for sharing, you have inspired me.

I have regular pebble and Eco-complete. I'd imagine you would get better results with osmocote plus seeing as it has micro nutrients also.

Back
Top Bottom