Swords with brown spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chess46

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had 5 amazon swords for about 3 weeks now. Up until this morning they were doing great with lots of new growth..even a new baby plant. Yesterday I did my normal weekly 50% pwc and added the algaefix, prime and leaf zone.
Today after returning from work i noticed lots of brown spots and what looks like algae on a lot of the leaves. Could someone please tell me what is going on?

Here is some tank info:
Size: 80gallons
Lights: low light - t5 equal to just over 80wpg
Co2: No
Ferts: Leaf Zone plant food by API
Sub: Sand
Ph: 7.6
Fish: 6 German rams, 10 tetras

Please tell me what I should do different or what I should add.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I try DIY co2 or something?

Your Plant Question

I've had 5 amazon swords for about 3 weeks now. Up until this morning they were doing great with lots of new growth..even a new baby plant. Yesterday I did my normal weekly 50% pwc and added the algaefix, prime and leaf zone.
Today after returning from work i noticed lots of brown spots and what looks like algae on a lot of the leaves. Could someone please tell me what is going on?

Here is some tank info:
Size: 80gallons
Lights: low light - t5 equal to just over 80wpg
Co2: No
Ferts: Leaf Zone plant food by API
Sub: Sand
Ph: 7.6
Fish: 6 German rams, 10 tetras

Please tell me what I should do different or what I should add.

Hello Chess...

I'm not an aquatic plant professional, but your problem may be the substrate. Sand isn't the best choice for several reasons: It weighs heavily on the plant roots, after a short time, it becomes compacted and doesn't allow for good water circulation around the plants roots, so there are no nutrients getting to your plant. Sand also allows voids or spaces in it, where toxins can build up and create water chemistry problems. It makes vacuuming more challenging too.

If your tank was mine, over time, I'd carefully remove the plants and transfer them to small pots and use a combination of organic potting soil, topped with standard aquarium pea gravel. That way you can keep the sand. It really does look nice in the tank, but isn't for planting.

Potted tanks aren't that pretty, but the plants do well that way and I've really gotten used to the plants in my tanks. Attached is a pic of one.

Just a couple of thoughts that occured to me.

B

What type of sub would you suggest? Is there any that is tiny (sand like) that is good for potted plants? I'm wanting a carpet of sag too and I thought that only worked with sand like sub.

Your plants look amazing but I am wanting rooted and not potted. Are you using co2 or anything?

How long has the tank been running? Whats your lighting schedule? Are there any brown spots on any other plant in the tank?

Tank has been running about a year. Lights are on about 10-12 hours a day. The swords are the only current plants

Can u get a pic? Does it rub off? I'm thinking maybe nutrient deficiency - iron perhaps.

I'm at work do I will get a pic when I get home. There is some algae on the leaves that does rub off but the rest of it is becoming see through and does not rub off. What should I do for a nutrient problem? Would co2 help?

The plant food I am using is supposed to have iron in it

Your Plant Question

What type of sub would you suggest? Is there any that is tiny (sand like) that is good for potted plants? I'm wanting a carpet of sag too and I thought that only worked with sand like sub.

Your plants look amazing but I am wanting rooted and not potted. Are you using co2 or anything?

Hello again Chess...

The pots thing was a suggestion, so you didn't have to remove the sand. If that's an option, then you want a substrate large enough for good water circulation and possibly one that will nourish the plants once you plant them.

I've never used anything but standard sized pea gravel from the pet store, but again, I don't plant many plants into the gravel. I've heard good things about Flourite and Eco-Complete. They're expensive, but supposedly they're good longer term. You could research these.

B

Thank you B
I'm thinking about changing over to gravel now. Does anyone know how well this works with carpet plants?

Brown spots on swords are typically from lack of iron, or to much as nutrients are stored within the leaves which can also cause browning. The substrate really isn't the issue, IMO, since the plants are in pots. I would recommend a nutrient rich substrate if u decide to actually plant them as it will offer the plants nutrients to thrive. I did a mix on my 125 and my swords took off. I occasionally get a brown spot leaf here and there and I just remove it.

Mohican, they are planted. What type of sub did you mix? I also bought some flourish tabs. Should I use those?

I think I used some carib flora-max and mixed with my existing pea size seeded gravel. I personally like gravel cuz it allows some water to pass around bases of plants yet tight enough to keep plants in place. I don't use root tabs. I started at first but thought they were a waste of money which I'd rather invest in a good substrate which will last longer. Plus having a big tank, it took a lot of tabs (and a lot of $$) and I hated always having to put my arm in the tank every 2-4 weeks. Try trimming the affected leaves if they really start to brown out and it may help the rest of the plant. It could still be adjusting to your tank conditions too.

I will look into the flora max. And I'll change to pea sized gravel as well. Do you use co2?

Yes and it does help in growth, but I still get the occassional yellow/brown leaf spots too.

Back
Top Bottom