T-5 vs CF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
I happened to check Catalina Aquarium's website and found this guy.

Catalina Aquarium

Seems like a pretty good deal, but then I'd have to replace the actinic bulbs, so I'd have to add another $40 onto the price. I wish that they'd just give an option to choose which bulbs go into it.

I'm also looking at this PC strip from catalina.

Catalina Aquarium SOLAR HOOD POWER COMPACT-4 X 65W

It also has actinic bulbs, but I'd only have to buy 1 more as I currently have a 65watter running on my 30gal which I'd be tearing down when I get my stuff together.

Overall the T-5 strip would cost $30 more or so. Basically, is it worth the diference?

You'll be much happier with the T5s if you're going for a higher light setup. The T5s penetrate better, and those catalina fixtures and pretty good quality. They're good people over there, you might try calling them to see if they can help you out on bulbs.

Give them a call they are great and will build to what you want they will give you a price break down on everything, I used them and just called them and they built exactly what I wanted right down to the moonlights.

They'll swap the bulbs if you call them and ask them to. ;)

The fixture is a great deal.

Yay! it came in today! I put it over my tank and you can certainly tell the difference. very bright. I had no problem getting the bulbs I wanted, I just put that I wanted 6500K in the comments box online, and that's what I got! I'd say I'm very satisfied. hah

well, so far my tank is actually not planted at all yet. hah. I still have to get rid of my african cichlids first. I just bought this now because it's a great deal. Mine is a standard 75gal.

I'm going to do pressurized CO2, and substrate is still a little up in the air. I'd love to use eco complete, it's in my 30g now and has served me well, but it's pricey. Flourite is also expensive, but not quite as bad. I've been looking at turface, but am having trouble finding some...my last resort is Shultz Aquatic soil. I work at Lowes so I have a decent supply of it. I don't want to use it though, becaus I hear it's really light and can mess up your water paramiters. As for filtration, I'm going to use the XP3 I currently have on the tank.

I plan on setting up Schultz' Aquatic soil(like you said, due to the cost of eco and fluorite). I have PFS in my 10g tank, and I'm not really pleased with how messy it looks ALL THE TIME.

When funds allow after the purchase of the light, I'll be ordering an XP3 as well. I'm interested in seeing how our tanks compare once they are both setup.

Back
Top Bottom