T5 lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cardinal3420

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are peoples thoughts on T5s? Would it be good for my plants or will it be too much for my fish. 30 gallon tank just started its cycle. just trying to get a good lighting system in place soon. Any thoughts on what will do the trick to keep my plants (Amazon swords, mostly amazon plants) satisfied?

Cardinal3420 said:
What are peoples thoughts on T5s? Would it be good for my plants or will it be too much for my fish. 30 gallon tank just started its cycle. just trying to get a good lighting system in place soon. Any thoughts on what will do the trick to keep my plants (Amazon swords, mostly amazon plants) satisfied?

IMO it will be good 4 the plants and not to much 4 the fish! Will u be adding root tabs for your SWORD'S???

Yeah I will def be using root tabs, I use them now with my smaller tank. In my old 55 I used them with great results. Swords get more of there nutrients from there roots. They usually are pretty easy. I just wanted to make sure I have good light to the bottom being my tank is taller and I want the low plants to thrive as well. Its just been a couple years since doing a planted tank. Thank you for your help too!!

I assume we are talking about T5HO lighting. It is great for fw planted tanks. However, it all depends on how much you have over the tank. You can have too little, and you can definitely have too much (especially if you aren't intending to dose a lot of ferts or inject CO2).

See thats where i think im having trouble. It will be a thick planted tank once its said and done. I will have CO2 injected and i do fertilize. Im just wondeing do i go with a 2 bulb T5HO, or the 4 bulb.

Is this a 3' tank? I think 4x T5HO would be too much. I'm currently running 4x39w T5HO on my 40 breeder and fighting algae because of some nutrient imbalances. If anything, a 4x39w with 3 daylight and one actinic would be ok, but that's still a LOT of light. I would stick with a 2x39w, which would still require co2 and ferts, but wouldn't push you to the point of needing an expert on hand to help solve algae issues that pop up at random.

Yeah ill probably just do the 2 bulb. I mean i really have not had trouble growing plants before. most plants i kept before didnt require crazy amounts of light. I just want something thats bright enough to also bring attention and a glow to the tank. but without stressing the fish. I think once its cycled im gonna be doing cardinal tetras and Rams. Should turn into a great tank.

Back
Top Bottom