T5 or LED??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tulip55555

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am researching a lighting upgrade. I have a 40g tall planted tank. Which would be better for plants? i do not want to do co2 btw.
the LED I was looking at is a Marineland with these specs
24"-36" - (8) 1 Watt daylight LED's, 4 Lunar LED's, 600 Lumens PAR/LUX at 24" is 19/1750.
http://www.petco.com/product/112418...ium-Lighting-System.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch
OR---
this one...it's Marineland too and says it has 42 LED's at 4.62W per fixture. 990 LUX and 310 Lumens. Could I mount this in the light strip that fits on my hood?? And would it be too much light for a non-co2 tank?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...00158#prodTab1
OR---
the t5 would be 2x24W

Any input is appreciated.

bruinsbro- I continued to research and I think the Marineland is out. The only fixture they suggest for plants is their Reef Compatible system-almost $200!! Their Double Bright will work for low light plants-about $130-but sort of advised against that.
I really want a double T8 strip just to keep it simple, but it is almost the same cost as a new T5. Anyway...looks like T5 for me :)
Hope this helped you too.

I found a nice, cheap T5 on Aquabid, but it's expandable-the strip is 24" and the brackets extend to 36" Not sure if I'd like the fixture being smaller.

Ah okay, I was questioning and have also heard the same about Marineland LEDs! Guess they're out too. Just back to regular dual fixtrure Zoo Med T5s then! Thanks for the help (y)

I was just gonna say Zoo Med. They seem to be the only one with switches for each bulb.
Guess we didn't need that much help after all.

Goodnight ;)

I almost posted the same topic last night. In fact I think it's still pending on my computer.
Anyway, I'm looking into building my own so that I can basically have whatever I want when it comes to planting...
Still researching. Anyone else thinking DIY LEDs?

Thanks Amicus. I have seen that before, but sort of forgot about it. Looking at that chart I think I'd be better off using one T5 rather than 2 T8's because of the depth of my tank. I think i will stick with a dual T5 fixture since there is not much price difference between a single and a dual bulb fixture. Then I will always have the option to add another bulb.

I have a 3x54w T5HO from Catalina Aquarium and they put two switches on for one, two or three bulb operation. I really like my fixture and their prices are reasonable. You can call and talk to jim and he will steer you in the right direction. I was going to go LED but couldn't get a straight answer from anyone, unless you spend a lot of dough. :)

Well I was looking at the 3x t5ho fixture but for that amount of money, though reasonable, I can build a comparable LED fixture. I am having trouble finding enough detailed info to take the plunge.

Back
Top Bottom