Taking the plunge with Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spent far too long on Saturday making far too much 4dKH reference solution that I will never need, but it was fun anyway. :)

So I put reference solution in my drop checker. After a few hours the colour of the solution in the drop checker is blue. So as expected, we confirm I don't have a lot of CO2 in the tank. But what amount I do have is unknown.

Do I have the information I need at this point? Presumably based on this info, I go and hook up the DIY CO2, and try to inject CO2 at a rate that will turn the drop checker solution to green. And presumably, that gives me roughly around 30ppm co2.

Am I missing something?

exactly right Sharon, you got it.

FYI, right now (with no injection) you're at around 15ppm CO2 - atmosphere level. Since you asked :)

The drop checker won't react right away, it's a slow process (even slower than actually get CO2 into your water). So, as you're adjusting your system, don't move too hastily. If you want faster results, just measure your pH and kH, then use your drop checker as your daily check once it's green.

If no CO2 is being injected, then the CO2 levels are approximately 3ppm (not 15ppm).

Okay.. goodo. Well, I'll hook up the CO2, install the new lights and we will see how long it takes me figure out I've buggered it up :)

Back
Top Bottom