Tall background plants, and other

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaTetra

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there any plants that would grow up to about 20 inches? Not like an anarachis, but with leaves, and not a rosette plant. It is medium light with basic ferts and Eco-Complete substrate, I will have some corydoras at the bottom. Other plants in there will be a floating water sprite, a java fern on a rock next to some jungle Val, and crypt wendtti. I dose liquid co2 every other day.

Vals will get very tall, so will some stem plants like wisteria. There are also some large crypts like balansae that work well for background.

Vals will get very tall, so will some stem plants like wisteria. There are also some large crypts like balansae that work well for background.

Vals are really good. I really like jungle val. Giant hairgrass is also a tall grower. Wisteria and crypt balansae are also good choices.

Check out Limnophilia Sassiliflora. Fine leafed, easy care, medium light, will get as tall as you want it. Easy to cut and replant to make alot of plants from a few. Nice true green color. Will bronze up on the ends when it gets close to a good light. OS.

What do you have against rosettes? Most of the suggestions thus far have been rosette plans rather than stems.

I agree with vals, C. helferi, and your taller crypt varieties (balansae, retrospiralis, etc). That being said, many people (although not all) have problems with vals and liquid carbon products, so while that might be one of the better options, it might not be viable for you.

Also, when you say 'up to 20 inches', what do you mean. Most of the plants will grow beyond 20" and give that draping appearance to the tank, which may or may not be what you're looking for. The good news is that 20" isn't very tall in the grand scheme of things, so most stem plants will be able to get that big and still look reasonable if well groomed.

Last edited:
Ok, good, I am glad the Val's will get big. Is there any thing special to do for the floating water sprite? I might use a hornwort instead.

I think that the crypt wendtti is enough rosette, I am not that opposed to rosettes though. Why is the liquid carbon bad for Val's? Should I not use carbon?

Well they are LED, and came with my Top Fin tank. It says they are high light, but I looked at the reviews and it said it was more of a medium light. It doesn't give a wattage, but LED lights have more lumens per watt than fluorescent or incandescent so it is at least 3 watts per gallon, maybe a bit more. I plan on upgrading the lighting after the tank is settled.

Okay I figured out how many watts. I think that each full spectrum led light(consisting of one red, one green, one blue led, in kelvin) is 94 watts, because even though it didn't list watts, it says 94 volts and 1 amp, which when multiplied equals watts. However, there are 7 full spectrum 94 watt LEDs then. And, the 5 watts per gallon rule only applies for incandescent, and with some extensive research I found that most fluorescent bulbs (which are commonly used in fish tanks) emit enough lumens per watt that you only need about 3 watts per gallon. And with LEDs being even more efficient I need only 2-3 watts per gallon..... So I'm wondering if possibly the whole set is 94 watts.... If so, it is quite high lighting, so I guess I have high lighting.

Can you link to the actual product you have so I can look it up online? Maybe post pics?

I highly doubt a Top Fin tank would include a 94 watt LED light.. I don't think volts and amps add up like that.

Can you link to the actual product you have so I can look it up online? Maybe post pics?

I highly doubt a Top Fin tank would include a 94 watt LED light.. I don't think volts and amps add up like that.

Yeah, most starter kits come with low light and occasionally med light. High light in a starter kit would be one of a kind. And yeah, post the link to product or post pics.

I've grown Ludwigia Repens in low light, excel, and very little ferts. I think it's a very hardy plant.

I recently read an article by a guy who had experimented with planted fish tanks and lighting, and he said that any truly aquatic plant can be grown in 3 watts per gallon, possibly 2, if you dose the right amount of liquid co2 and ferts for the number of plants and number of fish. I couldn't get a link, but if you look on Petsmart.com, looking through the tanks, it is the 37 gallon starter. On the website it says fluorescent, but they are LED lights, it's an error.

Back
Top Bottom