Tall, "grass looking plants"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vespasianus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there any tall, "grass looking" plants that are very low maintenance, low to medium light? I'm producing about 1.3 watts per gallon dosing liquid CO2 and Iron only.

EDIT: I forgot, for substrate I have pool fliter sand.

I wouldn't say that any of the hair grasses are low light or low maintenance. What about vals?

Dwarf hairgrass is very difficult to grow and needs high light, CO2, and a balance of ferts. Dwarf sag is a plant that I have and looks very grassy and is easy to grow. It only gets about 5" tall though.

When you are ordering plants online, be sure to look to see how large they grow. I ordered some Cyperus Helferi from aquariumplants.com. When they arrived they were about 18" high. Way too tall for my 20 gallon tank. I gave them to my neighbor for his pond. He gave me some peaches from his tree. It was a fair trade.

You could look into some of the many varieties of crypt species (some look pretty grassy), although you would need to get some root tabs for them. Saggitaria and willow hygro could also maybe work but more comprehensive ferts would likely be necessary. If you want to go really low maintenance try java fern narrow leaf of java fern Phillipine. Not the traditional grassy look but they do give off that great grass feel in very large clumps as they sway in your tank's current.

Thanks guys l, i like the crypt parva. I think it'll suit my tank nicely

How tall is tall to you? More than 5-6" or so? Neither of those species will get more than about that tall under most circumstances.

You don't have the light for cyperus helferi and the Excel doesn't usually mix well with vals. You could consider cryptocoryne crispatula 'balansae' or cryptocoryne retrospiralis for the same low light grassy effect.

I have a bunch but I don't know how to ship them, and I won't be home for a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom