Taming Duckweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I have sold some Duckweed and given it away to my brother-in-law but it is being a pain in their necks. Now, I know that it is the "herpes of aquariums" and so no. However, I am just wanting to know how any of y'all keep it from making a mess. I have some in my 55g, but it doesn't blow around because the filters are considerably clogged (only trickling). What do you do to keep it from blowing around, short of having a sponge filter only?

I placed 2 plastic potscrubbers where my water comes out of my hob. I drilled into the hob and ran a zip tie in and around the potscrubbers. That causes a trickle into the tank. I also have an airstone in that end of the tank. The tank tank is planted so I have a powerhead for circulation. The combo of all that keeps the duckweed in the lower right corner of the tank. I dont know about the herpes of the tank thing. I love my floating plants, plus the fast growth consumes nitrates and extra nutrients very well. I did get some black beard algae, but that was because I had too much light not enough flow. Now the tank is spotless and crystal clear. Its totally balanced.

Wow, sounds like a great setup! Like I said, my filters are trickling anyway because of clogged intakes or sponge pre-filters. Thanks for the advice and I'll be sure to pass it on.

I have tall stem plants in one corner that provide a safe harbor for my floaters. Amazon Frogbit and Duckweed. I clean my sponge prefilter weekly. I let it get to a trickle, then clean it.

I net out excess DW before I clean.

My DW blows around for a day and then settles. My Shrimp pick through it.

LOL, I thought you did aqua_chem. It would be of no use in a high tech tank, but in my tanks it does a good job with soaking up excess nitrates.

Coursair: DOH! I should have remembered that, it is how I initially tamed the stuff in my 55g. A big wad of Hornowort with string tied to it to act like a lasso.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom