Tank choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uwharrie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am not new to fresh tanks having kept African Cichlids once. Now have a nano and pico reef tank.
Thinking about adding a planted tank. 20-36 gal range Suggestions as to tank , lights and filtration. Since I had the cichlids I never did plants

I am not new to fresh tanks having kept African Cichlids once. Now have a nano and pico reef tank.

Thinking about adding a planted tank. 20-36 gal range Suggestions as to tank , lights and filtration. Since I had the cichlids I never did plants

20g long is a good tank to start with, plenty of room for plants etc. check out fresh2o's forum for an example of a 20 long :)

I actually have a 20 long sitting in the garage. was a reptile tank need to leak test it I guess
20g long is a good tank to start with, plenty of room for plants etc. check out fresh2o's forum for an example of a 20 long :)

I actually have a 20 long sitting in the garage. was a reptile tank need to leak test it I guess

Perfect! Are you planning on going low tech to start with or looking at doing a high tech setup?

maybe middle of the road. Right now I have two AIO reef tanks a 29 gal and 4.2 gal both with most of the bells and whistles. I don't dose, just frequent water changes with good quality reef salt mix. I know with a fresh tank w/plants, lighting is important and CO2 dosing could be needed

maybe middle of the road. Right now I have two AIO reef tanks a 29 gal and 4.2 gal both with most of the bells and whistles. I don't dose, just frequent water changes with good quality reef salt mix. I know with a fresh tank w/plants, lighting is important and CO2 dosing could be needed

Id highly recommend presurised co2 as it makes life a lot easier. Less algae and better plant growth and it's way cheaper than DIY or double dosing excel every day.

Depending where you are in the world, most people go with finnex fixtures for lighting on this forum, however there are a lot of good cheaper alternatives aswell. I like LED's as u don't need to replace them but some like fluro tubes. Personal preference I guess.

Hope I've helped

I like LED's as u don't need to replace them but some like fluro tubes. Personal preference I guess.

Hope I've helped

I second the recommendation of LEDs. I switched from fluorescents and have no desire to go back. My planted tank uses the Finnex Planted+. I've been very happy with it, but it does come with an inexcusably short warranty. For plants, Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0 LEDs are expensive, but highly regarded.

Back
Top Bottom