Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank lights on for three days!

I had to go out of town last weekend on business. I left Friday and came back Sunday evening. Unfortunately, my light timer broke just prior to my departure so the lighting was my wife's responsibility. I told my wife to turn on my lights at 9 a.m. and turn them off at 7 p.m. giving my plants 10 hours of light each day. Apparently, she forgot about it and left them on the entire weekend.

Now I have algae I've never seen before and it is everywhere. I have green spot algae all over my plants. I also have string algae in large bunches throughout my tank. I even have the dreaded cyano. There are more types, but I'm not sure what they are.

So, what should I do? I haven't had an algae problem in so long. So far, I did a huge water change. Now I am going to do a blackout for three days. I think that should kill off most of the algae. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'd say you're on the right track. Don't forget a second large water change with the blackout is complete and to dose your ferts back up to needed levels.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
I might as well ask this here since the info will obviously help the OP:

How....the heck....am I supposed to clean the algea off the leaves of my plants w/out hurting the leaves?

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt420dude View Post
I might as well ask this here since the info will obviously help the OP:

How....the heck....am I supposed to clean the algea off the leaves of my plants w/out hurting the leaves?
I had some success with dipping the plants in a heavily diluted bleach solution. Algae quickly died...and most of the plants lived through it. haha. I don't remember the exact mixture right now. Might want to look that up
Old 03-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Some algae can be physically removed very easily. Other types attach to the leaves so stubbornly that you have to remove the affected leaves. You can try a diluted bleach solution as jrp1588 suggests. Try a mixture of 19:1 (so if you're using a regular measuring cup and 1/4 cup is one part, try 4 3/4 cups water and 1/4 cup bleach). I've dipped plants for about 30 seconds (I've seen elsewhere on the internet 2-3 minutes) and then rinse very well. Soaking the plants in fresh water with a double dose of dechlorinator will help remove the bleach too. It may look like the algae is still clinging to the leaves, but it should be dead, and it will go away over the course of a few weeks.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to David14259
I had success with a 3-4 day blackout of the tank. I'd say 80% of the algae died off, and the remaining disappeared over the next couple weeks.

My Tank: 20 Gallon Freshwater High Tech Planted
My Plants: Dwarf Sagittaria, Riccia, Crypt Lutea, Rotala Macandra, Corkscrew Val, Blyxa Japonica, Ambulia, Anubias Nana, Flame Moss, Christmas Moss, Echinodorus Parviflorus.
My Fish: 1 German Gold Ram, 3 Praecox Rainbows, 1 Otocinclus Catfish, 1 Siamese Algae Eater, 1 Rummynose Tetra, 4 Cherry Barbs
My Inverts: Ramshorn Snails, Apple Snails.
David14259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I finished my blackout and did another large water change. I still have some algae on my driftwood and walls, but all of the algae on my plants died off. Clearing off my plants was the most important thing.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah! I feel your frustration. Give yourself a pat on the back for solving the problem.

I am always having to mess with my timers kids....power outages etc.....it's a pain.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just a quistion, but if it was caused by the lighting being left on, and that was the only reason, wouldnt it stand to reason that getting the tank back on the normal lighting shcedule, over time it will revert back to normal since plants do tend to outcompete algae for nutrients, and if you didnt have any before, then that means that there is not the excess nutrients to suppor them, thus when they are being outcompeted, they will die off due to starvation?
Old 03-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

It should.

Tags
light, lights, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com