Tank Overhaul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snaily

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys! First time poster here.. Found the site on Play and am pretty impressed! Okay so here's whats cooking on my end..

I have a 55 gallon that needs some work. I am fairly new to the fish hobby and am wanting tooverhaul the tank now that i see some ofthese really neat ones! I want to get away from plastic plants and have a completely planted tank. So.. For a beginner what kind of plants do you suggest? I have 1 giant apple snail and seven angels. That's where I want to stay in the fish department so I need something that will work for them. I have a few (probably more like 3) pieces of driftwood here at home to chose from

Here's what I'm thinking I want so far.. Please excuse my ignorance as I know nothing about plants or planted tanks. I really like the "grassy" bottoms or is it moss? Haha. See what I mean.. Any way.. I want to build a wall of moss on the back side of my tank. Nothing to coverthe entire backside but only going up a corner. Everything else I am ready for opinions on! I can get pictures of some of the driftwood pieces that I am leaning towards also. BTW if anyone is looking for driftwood, hubby says I have to pick what I want and sell the rest :(

Well what kind of lighting are u working with ?

For stock tank lighting your best bet is to go with Crypts, Java moss, java fern, anubias, and bolbitis.

The grassy bottom tanks you see is generally done with Dwarf hair grass which is a really difficult plant to grow and will require some new equipment on your part.

For the moss wall java moss would fit the bill perfectly as it's a quick growing easy plant to take care of.

Any crypts will require root tabs periodically.

I just have the regular lighting that came with the tank. I am willing to change or buy whatever is needed. :) what would I need for dwarf hair grass?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pressurized co2 and 4bulb t5ho or the equivalent in led lighting. Build my led has some good fixtures.

Back
Top Bottom