Tank Overhaul Log - 29 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's the thread that I started when researching how to make spraybars for my aquariums. A Dremel really makes drilling the holes a LOT easier.

Thanks Purr!

I just looked over your thread and that's exactly what I want to make. I'm didn't even think of looking in the sprinkler/irrigation section. I went straight for plumping and couldn't find anything like what I wanted. But now I know better. And it's about to be summer so the hardware stores should be gearing up with lots of sprinkler equipment. :)

I got the following plants from the LFS and they were labeled as "assorted plants" does anyone know what they might be?

img_870356_0_34040baa4b3a621db2b844bfb98fdca2.jpg

img_870356_1_07bf5d6c275be6604f884ed988e4e100.jpg

And because I know you all love pics, here are some of the latest:

img_870356_2_9b4801678b68fd27db65a6461702fe7b.jpg

img_870356_3_1f67b438a8492bfe1a992d122ac9a6f6.jpg

img_870356_4_942a04a03e502c72926654bdebfd66c7.jpg

img_870356_5_68a5beed0ed0e1fb15bdbeb54adb44f0.jpg

img_870356_6_1be25e1a18388a95fa2e180a7741c343.jpg

img_870356_7_77861eb5c1684d10607a54dcaeb7bb41.jpg

The first appears to be a Sword and the second a Ludwigia. Not sure on the specific varieties.

I think that's L. repens in need of some good lighting.

Tank looks good, I'm so glad you changed the background, the first one hurt my eyes. lol

The first looks more like a Crypt to me. Walkeri maybe? I could be wrong, but the leaf shape and compactness of the plant makes me think Crypt.

2nd is definitely L. repens.

Cool, thanks for the IDs guys.

I think that's L. repens in need of some good lighting.

Tank looks good, I'm so glad you changed the background, the first one hurt my eyes. lol

Neilanh, when you say in need of some good lighting does that mean you think it's not getting enough now. I'm at 1.65 now which barely counts as medium. Do you think the L. repens will make it? It's kind of in a darkish corner right now so maybe I should try putting it somewhere that gets more light. Also, I totally agree with the background. I am so much happier with the blue.

As for other updates, I did my first trimming last night. I am impatient for the Anacharis to fill in and it was getting pretty tall so I cut the tops and replanted to make a fuller bunch. I was excited to see some of the stems branching out into two stems rather than one. Here's a pic:

img_870664_0_40f793d4e094f0b96d474a1097fd23c9.jpg

I've been worrying a little about my current stocking. Here's the list:
8 serpae tetra
1 pearl gourami
1 clown pleco
1 SAE
2 otos
1 glofish (juvenille)

My concern is that I've heard that serpaes can be fin nippers and I'm wondering if they're going to eventually go after the gourami or pleco. So far everything seems fine and any of the chasing I see is happening within the group, but I know that as time goes on more aggression can develop. Has anyone kept serpae with gouramis and plecos before? I bet a lot of it can be personality too so maybe if I end up with an aggressor I can replace the trouble-maker without getting rid of the whole school. I really love how the tetras all look together.

Also I'm not completely certain that the gourami is getting enough to eat. The tetras are little pigs when it comes to feeding time but the gourami is often right in there with them. What I can't tell though is if he actually gets any food. I thought he was but the other day when I was watching he was just at the surface and looked to be breathing rather than eating. I've tried target feeding by distracting the tetras on one side of the tank and then feeding the gourami on the other side but he doesn't really get it and swims away. Any further suggestions?

I love your pearl gourami - It's such a beautiful fish.

I've had serpaes once. I don't know why but they caused a massacre in my tank and killed 7 glolights within 48 hours of me getting them. I've since read others who haven't had issues, and I will probably never know why it happened, so just keep an eye on them.

Well, I've got some bad news.

I lost another Oto today. He'd been looking mighty thin for a few days now and so I thought maybe he wasn't getting enough to eat. I've got another Oto, an SAE and a pleco in there (though it's a clown pleco and he mostly just eats the driftwood not algae) and so I figured the little Oto was being out-competed for food. The tank is virtually spotless so I've been supplementing with algae wafers and fresh zucchini. I guess though that it was too little too late as I found the little oto dead today. The other Oto and the SAE were happily devouring the zucchini that I put in yesterday and my serpae were acting as greedy as ever.

I just did some water tests to check levels, here are the results:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

Perfectly normal, so I'm going to assume that the Oto didn't die of water quality issues. Though I have been having some temperature problems due to it getting ridiculous warm yesterday in my apartment. My temp is usually at 77-79 F but yesterday it got up to 81 F, so I guess that might have done something.

Everything else, however, is going very well. I'm getting especially good growth on the Anacharis and Annubias. The microsword looks pretty good too. The plant that others have IDed as a crypt isn't faring as well and I think that the L. repens does need more light. I'll try to move it into a brighter spot next time I do tank maintenance.

Thanks for the condolences. I guess he might have been but I only got him from the LFS a month or so ago so unless he had been there a long time I think something else got him.

Well, aside from the death of the Oto, things in the tank seem to be progressing very well. My Anacharis is growing like a weed and I've seen three new leaves on the Anubias in the last two days.

My DIY spraybar project is tabled for now. I need to find time to go to the hardware store to look for the parts and it just hasn't happened yet.

I've been starting to think adding some ferts. Mainly I'm concerned about the traces and probably will look into getting some Flourish Comprehensive or Flourish Trace. Which would be better? I have low light, only 1.65 WPG, so I hope that means I don't need to dose carbon. What other ferts should I be thinking about?

Don't bother with Flourish Trace, Flourish "Comprehensive" is the one that is a good Trace fertilizer. The only other thing that you would like want to dose is Potassium. You can pick up some NoSalt (KCl) at your grocery store to dose the Potassium.

Okay, I'm all set to order some Flourish Comprehenisve from Drs Foster and Smith. The "Comprehensive" one is the bottle just called Flourish, correct?

My Anacharis is due for another trim since one stem has almost reached the surface. I'm disapointed, however, to see that it looks like the stems I trimmed last time aren't growing any more. I guess it kind of makes sense because I cut off the part where the new cells were forming but I guess I assumed it would recover and continue growing from where I cut it. Are all trimmed stems doomed to stay the height you trim them at? Is the ability to grow after trimming affected by where I cut the stem? For example, if I cut the stem right after a branching (or node?) would the new branch keep growing? I guess what I'm really asking is what's the best way to trim and replant Anacharis?

Correct. That's why Comprehensive is in quotes. It's on the label but isn't an official part of the name.

Not sure on Anacharis, but stem plants in general will continue growing after the tops are trimed. The cut portion will stop growing but they will branch at one of the nodes below the cut. This also helps to provide busier plants. Eventually they do end up looking pretty ratty and just need to be pulled and the tops replanted.

Good to know about the branching. I figured something like that might happen. See I do remember something from my intro biology class!

More tank news: I'd been puzzled for a while now about why my microsword wasn't really spreading. I know that I don't have super high light but the other plants seemed to be faring well and I had hope to see a little expansion of the grassy foreground. Well, when I was doing some maintenance a couple nights ago I discovered that when I had first planted everything I had left the microsword in it's pot. No wonder it wasn't growing! So I removed the pot and replanted. It was hard to get all those little stalks into the substrate but I managed and now it looks pretty nice. I hope it does well as I really like the color and texture contrast to my Anubias and Anacharis.

More thoughts about ferts:

I'm starting to be convinced that dry ferts are really the way to go. Right now, though I'm only looking for a trace nutrients fertilizer. I know Rex Grigg sells dry ferts and that he makes a trace mix called CSM+B. Is that the one I want? Should I order a 1/2 lb or a full lb? I've heard that the hobby-grade test kits for traces, like iron, aren't really accurate. So if the test kit won't work, what's a reliable way to tell what my levels are?

CSM+B is the trace mix. How large is you aquarium? For a smaller aquarium 1/2lb will be plenty, but if you've got a large aquarium you may want the full pound instead. Keep in mind that when ordering dry ferts, it's the shipping that's the lion's share of the cost. You're probably better off ordering all the ferts you might need to have on hand, to help justifying the cost of shipping. Of course with only 1/2lb the shipping may be more reasonable.

The tank is 29 gallons so I'm not sure if that falls into the large category or the small category. I suspect it is leaning towards small. At any rate, that's good to know about shipping. When I stop at think it seems obvious that the shipping is the major cost but it hadn't occurred to me. So maybe I should be getting one of the potassium ferts as well? I'm pretty sure I don't need to dose nitrates as they're always around 10 ppm when I do my weekly water testing/changing. So I guess I would be better off not using the KNO3, right?

Back
Top Bottom