tank rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kent2991

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have had my 75 set up eith sand for about 2 years now and was wanting to re do my substrate. the tabk has fish and plants and u was wabting to dirt the tabk and use small graval, how would i hold tge fish during the process?? would they be fine in a 10g fir a little bit??

i have had my 75 set up eith sand for about 2 years now and was wanting to re do my substrate. the tabk has fish and plants and u was wabting to dirt the tabk and use small graval, how would i hold tge fish during the process?? would they be fine in a 10g fir a little bit??

I'd use sand over the soil rather than gravel, I think the soil may find its way to the surface through gravel.

Your fish can be housed in the 10g while you put in the soil, full drain the tank and remove the sand. Add a 1-1.5 inch layer of soil and then cap with a 1-2 inch layer of sand. Fill and drain the tank 3 times over to get rid of the initial ammonia spike being careful not to disturb the sand and make holes for the soil to escape.

After that your established filter should take care of the rest of the ammonia and it's fine to add your fish back in [emoji106]

how much dirt would i need, in pounds

Not sure how many pounds you will need. Pretty sure soil is sold by the volume (quarts). As for the specific soil to use, I believe Miracle Grow Organic Choice potting soil is the most recommended.
Along with dealing with the initial ammonia as mentioned above, you will want to use chopsticks or something similar to periodically poke the substrate to release any trapped gasses that will form. The last thing you want to happen is a large bubble "belching" out of the substrate. It may create quite a mess.

Not sure how many pounds you will need. Pretty sure soil is sold by the volume (quarts). As for the specific soil to use, I believe Miracle Grow Organic Choice potting soil is the most recommended.
Along with dealing with the initial ammonia as mentioned above, you will want to use chopsticks or something similar to periodically poke the substrate to release any trapped gasses that will form. The last thing you want to happen is a large bubble "belching" out of the substrate. It may create quite a mess.

Agreed I used my planting Tongs and just stabbed around to release any initial pockets. However the sand tends to compact a fair bit and I get the odd bubble that releases (haven't lost any fish to this tho)

Back
Top Bottom