Tank suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexwm125

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm fairly new to planted tanks and was wondering if there were any pointers anyone could give me to make my tank have a better "flow" or a more natural look.

Constructive criticism needed! Anything you would add or move.

It's a 29g
Finnex planted+
Dosing flourish comp and API leaf zone weekly or with large water changes, and API root tabs.

2 dwarf gouramis 1 male 1 female

5 diamond tetras

5 Kuhli loaches

3 otos

3 glass catfish (trying to rehome)

Here's a FTS. Again any suggestions are accepted.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424330384.640648.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424330405.137178.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424330521.355375.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424330549.843863.jpg

Jungle Val just added so it's probably melting.

Other plants are

Anubias nana, barteri, hastifolia

Hygrophila corymbosa which seems to almost close up when the lights are about to go off (now)

I love my fish!!!

I would say, let yhe hygro's grow like mad (which they always do), clip and replt to fill in the blank spaces. Otherwise tanks looks good.
I used liquid ferts as well for 2 straight years. And then someone recommended ei-dosing to me. So much cheaper and way more effective.
Especially the hygro's are nutrient hogs. Anubias can live without anything. I have noticed that you have no source of co2 or glut.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Nvm the ferts and co2, your selection of plants should be good without any.

I have excel but sometimes miss days so it's not regular. So I'm trying stopping altogether as I've heard that if it isn't totally constant, the Val's will melt with the change, so I'm gonna try it with just flourish comp and leaf zone.
The hygros were starting to yellow and I put root tabs in: they returned to green in a few days and they have been vibrant green ever since and growing taller at the time.
I already replanted a few that were extremely "leggy" (front two plants)

And the larger Anubias are new the nana are older.

I'm iffy on the driftwood in the back and its placement though. The kuhlis like the little tunnel under it though.

I love my fish!!!

What's your photoperiod like? I suspect you may run into algae issues if it is more than 6 hours and you're not dosing any Excel or glut. I also have a planted+ on my 29g and have been very satisfied with what it can grow. Lots of great possibilities for you!

What's your photoperiod like? I suspect you may run into algae issues if it is more than 6 hours and you're not dosing any Excel or glut. I also have a planted+ on my 29g and have been very satisfied with what it can grow. Lots of great possibilities for you!

10 hrs a day. Haven't seen much if any, seems like the otos eat a lot of it.

The one Anubias has some because I just moved it from my other tank.

I love my fish!!!

That's good, although I'd still recommend dialing it back a bit particularly in the beginning. Those anubias you have will be prime growing grounds for bba.

Sent from my iPad using science

Also does anyone else's plants open and close every day? My hygro is open all day and closes like an hour before the lights are about to go off. Normal?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424376764.779245.jpg

I love my fish!!!

That's good, although I'd still recommend dialing it back a bit particularly in the beginning. Those anubias you have will be prime growing grounds for bba.

Sent from my iPad using science

I'll try to set it to 8? Seems short like I won't see my fish a ton but I can deal.
Don't want an algae bloom!!!

I love my fish!!!

Hygro's do close the darker it becomes.

Back
Top Bottom