TarHeel's First Journal - 29G Planted Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't worry about it! I'm pretty sure the employees at my local PetSmart think I'm crazy because I'll get bored and just go watch the fish...luckily I've also helped plenty a customer not kill their fish since this forum has given me more knowledge about fish keeping than most of the employees have.

Oh lol I know! I have learned a lot more now from this forum :) and psh It's kinda awkward tho when I'm the only one at the fish section staring at tanks while the employee is just standing there at that little island there they bad fish and keep the crickets lol...

I am the same way I have been to this Walmart where they take care of the fish so poorly and actually did some water changes and done some cleaning to the tanks lol. I've also helped some customers out too!

Oh lol I know! I have learned a lot more now from this forum :) and psh It's kinda awkward tho when I'm the only one at the fish section staring at tanks while the employee is just standing there at that little island there they bad fish and keep the crickets lol...
That's me 90% of the time I'm there...sometimes I'll start asking questions just to see how much they know, and give them a lesson or two if needed :brows:

Well it's time to call it a night, more updates tomorrow when I get things filled...and maybe I'll finally start uploading photos from my actual camera. I tend to use my iPhone way too often for photos even though I'm a professional photographer :facepalm:

That's me 90% of the time I'm there...sometimes I'll start asking questions just to see how much they know, and give them a lesson or two if needed :brows:

Well it's time to call it a night, more updates tomorrow when I get things filled...and maybe I'll finally start uploading photos from my actual camera. I tend to use my iPhone way too often for photos even though I'm a professional photographer :facepalm:

Yeah lol once a petsmart employee said that I could keep my neon tetras with my Oscar...... :/

And haha dude I know! I only use my iPhone for pics since its so convenient even tho I have like a thousand dollar professional camera sitting beside me. I'm so lazy tho to upload pics to the computer and blah blah blah lol I only use that comers for special occasions :lol:

Tank is filled! Got the black diamond washed and put in, DW is saying put (it's Malaysian, sunk without soaking and didn't have any tannins), and did some rearranging to the slate cave. My FugeRAY and online heater are showing up tomorrow so I can get that ugly stock hood off the tank and get the filter up and running, it's coming together y'all!

image-2512600995.jpg

Thanks everyone! And per the every useful advice of Rivercats, I have dry ferts from GLA on the way as well...I'm also now worried about the danger of having a GLA account, I hope my wallet doesn't try to kill me in my sleep :hide:

Added some beach rocks I had picked up while in England a few years ago to break up the foreground a bit

A few different angles:

image-861180249.jpg

image-4170992545.jpg

image-756027665.jpg

Added some beach rocks I had picked up while in England a few years ago to break up the foreground a bit

A few different angles:

This looks great, looking forward to seeing the next step! How did you prepare your beach rocks for your tank?? I live by the beach in Scotland and took home a bucket load at the weekend...not quite sure how to make them safe?? I was going to boil them but herd they might explode?!

This looks great, looking forward to seeing the next step! How did you prepare your beach rocks for your tank?? I live by the beach in Scotland and took home a bucket load at the weekend...not quite sure how to make them safe?? I was going to boil them but herd they might explode?!
Well they've been sitting on my desk for about 4 years, so I wasn't too worried about anything being alive on them, but I just poured boiling water over them and gave them a scrub with a tooth brush for good measure.

Looking awesome dude! I use the GLA ferts as well...and yeah I went on GLA and shopped around for a while, I added anything I needed into my cart and then when I went to see how much it all costs my wallet had a heart attack lol.

Looking awesome dude! I use the GLA ferts as well...and yeah I went on GLA and shopped around for a while, I added anything I needed into my cart and then when I went to see how much it all costs my wallet had a heart attack lol.
Thanks! :thanks: My wallet had a heart attack when I went to check out, but then I realized I had forgotten to remove the lily pipes and CO2 setup I had added while window shopping. Bullet dodged...for now. :whistle:

Thanks! :thanks: My wallet had a heart attack when I went to check out, but then I realized I had forgotten to remove the lily pipes and CO2 setup I had added while window shopping. Bullet dodged...for now. :whistle:

Yeah lol I am getting some lily pipes once they get back in stock along with some more glass ware...expensive stuff lol!! Ahhh, so what plants are coming later?

I have some java fern, java moss, willow moss, l. repens, anacharis and mayaca on the way. Trying to get my hands on an anubias, amazon sword, and some dwarf sag as well.

Well they've been sitting on my desk for about 4 years, so I wasn't too worried about anything being alive on them, but I just poured boiling water over them and gave them a scrub with a tooth brush for good measure.

I know what I'll be doin tomorrow now! Thanks :)

I know what I'll be doin tomorrow now! Thanks :)

Glad I could help! You may even want to just soak them in water that was boiling hot (like you would do in a tub with a large piece of driftwood) to kill everything, because it won't heat the inside of the rocks enough to risk then exploding.

You should also do the vinegar test to make sure they won't alter your tanks pH

Back
Top Bottom