techniques for vacuuming your substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marchmaxima

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm interested in finding out how/what people do to adequately vacuum their substrate.

Do you remove the driftwood and other objects that aren't rooted in or do you vaccum around things. I pull everything out of my tank, vaccum and then put everything back.

It just occured to me that this might not be the right technique to use. It just gets so filthy in the gaps between the driftwood and sand substrate that I feel compelled to take as many things out of the tank as I can so I can vac it all up.

So whats method that you use?

I vacuum in rows, .25"-.5", without removing decor. I dislike stirring everything up into the water column.

I move the driftwood carefully about every 2nd or 3rd cleaning. I don't remove the plants but all other items such as rocks and wood I do remove occasionally. I swirl the gravel vac tube above the substrate and in areas there are no plants I do a deep gravel vac by pushing the vac into the gravel and turning down the flow to clean and aerate the substrate.

Try using a Magnum 350 cannister or diatom filter on the tank after vacuuming. It will polish the water if given a few days to work. IMHO vacuuming is not needed in a planted tank if the fish are properly fed.

Yeah, it isn't that heavily planted and I generally just sweep the graavel vac over the bottom whilst I'm changing water.

Interesting article!

That is a very interesting read. 2 of my 3 tanks are sand (last one soon to be sand) and I tend to occasionally stick the tube in the sand to stir up the buildup of bad gases which I thought was occurring.

So when using the vac on sand, surface removal only then? This seems contradictory to what I believed previously.

That is a very interesting read. 2 of my 3 tanks are sand (last one soon to be sand) and I tend to occasionally stick the tube in the sand to stir up the buildup of bad gases which I thought was occurring.

So when using the vac on sand, surface removal only then? This seems contradictory to what I believed previously.

If your aquariums are planted, then yes only surface removal. To release any gas that may develop you can either use some MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) or occationally stir it with a chop stick. These methods will be much less likely to disturb your plant roots.

I guess I should add that my two planted/sand tanks are all floating plants however.

Haven't yet been brave enough to go beyond the very low tech setup.

I guess I should add that my two planted/sand tanks are all floating plants however.

Then there's absolutely no reason for you to avoid vacuuming your substrate as long as the sand is heavy enough to avoid getting sucked up by the gravel vac. Floating plants are going to get their nutrients from the water column and don't have roots that would be disturbed by the gravel vaccing.

I poke a fork in my sand substrate once a fortnight. My sand is sitting on top of a layer of JBL nutrient rich stuff, so I'd like not to get the two mixed. So far, it has worked.

Of course it's also amusing having a dinner fork with "Fish Only" written on it. :yum:

"That is a very interesting read. 2 of my 3 tanks are sand (last one soon to be sand) and I tend to occasionally stick the tube in the sand to stir up the buildup of bad gases which I thought was occurring.

So when using the vac on sand, surface removal only then? This seems contradictory to what I believed previously."

"If your aquariums are planted, then yes only surface removal. To release any gas that may develop you can either use some MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) or occationally stir it with a chop stick. These methods will be much less likely to disturb your plant roots."

Only thing is... if you stir the sand lightly with either a gravel vac or chopsticks and miss but bury some uneaten food or piece of plant... thats where you are going to find aenorobic bacteria buildup later. It's going to turn the sand black and when stirred will give off the familiar swamp gas smell of sulfur dioxide.

Back
Top Bottom