Temps too high??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atl300zx

Aquarium Advice Freak
with my 200W heater in my 55 Gallon tank, i cannot get the temps below 79. My tank is 79 in the mornings and about 80.4 by the time the lights turn off at night. I am convinced the thermostat is busted in my heater and taht is just stays on all day. I have the thermometer set to 61 degrees now and i never see the "pilot light" turn off. I used to have to set it at 67 to get 78........

First question....are my temps too high?

Second question.....if so, what thermometer/thermostats-in-one unit it recommended? currently i have an All Glass Aquarium model, it was about $33 at my LFS.

Third question.....can i just get an external thermostat? if so...recommendation??

Thanks.

Sounds like the heater is toast and should be removed ASAP. While your temps are in tolerable ranges currently, with a faulty heater you have no guarentee that it won't try to fry the fish. I'd recommend picking up a Visitherm Stealth Heater. I've got three of these and have never had a problem with them. Blend into the background really well too. Might want to go with a pair of 150 watt heaters instead of a single larger heater.

Ditto Pur. We have stealths in all of our tanks. Don't go buy the reading on the heater itself, go by the thermometer that you have in the tank.

How much light do you have?
On my tank, the heaters (integrated in Eheim filters) basically never run during the day...
Actually the light heats up the tank as the day goes by...

Back
Top Bottom