Ten Gallon Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't posted in awhile so here it is.

image-986982314.jpg

Here are my rummynose tetras

image-800240811.jpg

image-2391616625.jpg

My dwarf hair grass is just starting to fill in and get new growth.

image-2923639140.jpg

My onion plant has grow great and one of my bulbs is starting to flower!!! I am so excited!

image-4024338872.jpg

And my plants are filling in good

image-802152205.jpg

Turns out my cherry shrimp have the stripe on their back. I am really surprised because I got them for .99 and the neon fire red are very expensive.

image-444011687.jpg

The red one... Yes it is

It seems its growing really good! You know you can take each stem off of the bulb and plant it as a stem? At least that's what I do and it works for me, my bulb grows lots of plants and I just rip them off and plant them an they grow great. Just a tip! Nice growth by the way, it's looking awesome!

This bulbs growth is amazing. I woke up this morning and I looked the stalk was poking out of the water. It grew an inch in one night. That is crazy. I now noticed that it has a second stalk coming out.

If you want your RTL to have nice submerged leaves and more compact growth you need to cut off all runner leaves that are headed to the surface. If you allow surface leaves to remain the bulb will put all it's energy into producing all surface leaves with no lower growth. Look at the size of the RTL leaves and how low they are in the front left of the tank. Keeping surface leaves will encourage this type of growth.... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g update 12/18/12 - Picture

Leaves that are more arrow shaped are the submerged ones and ones that tend to have a rounded shape and start shooting towards the surface are the ones you want to always cut off. This will encourage submerged growth.

I was just lurking around when you first started this thread, just wanted to say your rescaping and positioning of that driftwood looks great. That dw's AWESOME!

I was just lurking around when you first started this thread, just wanted to say your rescaping and positioning of that driftwood looks great. That dw's AWESOME!

Thanks a lot. Looking back on it it looked bland without the slope but now it helps the tank and driftwood flow.

Rtl? It looks cool!

Red Tiger Lily, and thanks:)

My rotala doesn't look very good. I mean it is growing good and I am starting to get some red on to but I is not getting enough light on the bottom so the leaves are falling off and looking terrible. I want to move it to a place where I can get to it easily because it is hard to get behind the driftwood without moving it out of place. I just want to start over with it but I don't know what to do

In this instance the easiest thing to do is cut the good growth off and replant it with each stems leaves almost but not quite touching the leaves of the stems around it so light and water circulation reach lower stems. Pull up the other non-leaved stems and trash them. Just be sure to replant the good tops in a non-shaded position in the tank.

I have been thinking of plants that won't need any trimming and that are very low care so I won't have to mess up the driftwood

You can also just leave the plants if the tops are growing good and attach some amubia, java fern, java moss, or even bulbitus on the DW to hide the bare bottoms. The tank and plants still looks good that way.

Back
Top Bottom