Terrible Algae issue! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set up my first planted tank about 3 weeks ago roughly. I let it cycle and get established for 2 weeks and then my LFS said my water parameters were good so I added 3 angelfish. This is a 60 gallon tank. Now since about 5 days ago I have had TERRIBLE algae everywhere! I have ugly green and brown algae on all my anubias, green hair algae all over the glass, and little brown dots here and there on the glass...what are those? How can I fix this? Is it normal? All the parameters are good - Ammonia at 0, Nitirite at 0, Nitrate at 0-5 ppm, and the pH is stable at about 7.6-8. I have ordered a "Green Killing Machine" UV sterilizer and about 50 amano shrimp. Should that do it good? I have been scrubbing it off everyday but it keeps getting worse, but no green water yet. Also one of my angels died this morning D': It had a gill deformity and the others seem healthy so I guess it was just him. What's up with my tank?! I'm adding C02 next week.

What kind of light do you have on the tank? What kind of photoperiod? What kind of plants?

How did you cycle the tank so quickly?

Are you adding any fertilizer?

Does the tank get any natural sunlight?

60 amano shrimp, even for a 60 gallon, seems like overkill. Amanos can get 1.5-2" in length...

Back
Top Bottom