Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Da Squid

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up a 55g low to medium light planted tank. I've been using the API master kit so far, but are there any other test kits that I should be buying? Are there any trustworthy brands that could be suggested?
Also, I'm concerned that my water may be overly acidic. Anyone know of any kits that test below the 6 PH range?

Thanks, all.

not really any other test kits you need. what ph is your test kit reading now?

You could get a phosphate kit, that's about the only one that may be of interest in a planted tank. GH & KH may help explain the low pH.

ive never seen ph below 6 out of tap.. if your using RO/DI water in the planted tank, you will have to consider stripped water will have 0 everything lol. Add crushed coral and whatnot to raise it a tad

There's probably no reason whatsoever to artificially alter it. Unless the OP is keeping Africans or some other hard water fish, I wouldn't chance it. Most plants will do fine at lower levels. I agree that below 6 out of the tap would be odd indeed.

First off, ... GO PENS!!! Right. .. back to business.
My tap water tested around 7 PH, but doing my fishless cycle it is at 6 and I'm wondering if maybe it's lower. Its been over two weeks of cycling and not a trace of nitrites to show for it. I do have a good bit of drift wood in there which could be the culprit I suppose. I'm also showing some nasty chunks of BBA now I believe. Oi vey!

Phosphate kit. Roger. I'll check that out. I have some Petco coupons and I'd like to use them soon but am in no way ready for fish yet (I'm thinking amazon's since its clear my water is going to be acidic). Any special brand of phosphate kit that you experts swear by?

how did you test your water? did you leave it out over night to test it? its possible i really wouldnt worry about it. how are you cycling the tank?

I'm using the API kit. just following the instructions by waiting shaking then waiting 5 minutes. I havent left anything out overnight. Should I? I'm using some pure ammonium in the tank and running it at around 86 degree's. I have no light yet so its been in relative darkness for the past 15 days. My ammonia count has bounced between 2 and 4 PPM thus far.
I'm not exactly worrying about the low PH, but if its really at 3.5 or something ridiculously low, then I feel the sooner I know the better. If a low PH test is expensive then I probably won't bother.

if you test from your tap it hasnt gassed out and prob wont give you a accurate reading. cycling tank can take 4-6 weeks or more.

thanks, I'll put some tap in a cup right now and check it sometime tomorrow. I was hoping to see at least some nitrites by now... but no big deal. I'll wait it out.

Back
Top Bottom