test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
what test kits do you absolutely need for planted tank? i have the ap test kit now with all of those i also have a kh and gh test kit. i need a phosphate test kit right? any other ones that i can see if this new huge fish store has? also any flourish stuff that i would need mandatoraly? i have nitrogen now any others?

thanks

I just have the ap test kit. It's been suggested I buy a phosphate kit.

As far as ferts go, lfs gave me nitrogen, potassium, excel and iron to start with. I have heard that the standard fourish is a good all encompassing fert. (That may be good or bad)

If your substrate is poor, I would pick up plant tabs.

For a planted tank you need a good liquid test for the following:
Nitrates
Phosphates
KH
pH

The first two will help you balance your ferts and the second two help if injecting CO2. If you aren't injecting CO2 then you won't need them as you can assume a CO2 of approximately 3ppm.

The main ferts that you would likely need are:
Nitrate (Flourish Nitrogen)
Phophate (Flourish Phosphorus)
Potassium (Flourish Potassium)
Micro Mix (Flourish Comprehensive)

Flourish Excel is a great alternative to CO2 injection in small tanks. Plant tabs are a good idea for heavy root feeders, especially if you didn't spring for a plant substrate like EcoComplete.

I got the AP test kit and I hate it. Is way too hard to tell low levels of most testing parametes. I should have got THIS ONE. I think you would be much happier if you can find this one and you can find refills for most of them to save even more money.

This is the test kit that is most often recommended in AA, I just wish the club sold it. :idea:

ya i have all those except phospahte test kit, ill pick that up if i see it and ya what do you guys think about the seachem substrate tabs? are they any good?

Back
Top Bottom