Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Test kits for water nutrients

I'm trying to get my tank back right after letting it sit for months relatively unmaintained (so to speak, but not completely). While I still have many of my plants and fish still going with few ill effects from my neglect, I do need to test my water and see what I need to make it exactly what I need. ...so my greatest question will be what test kits do I need to test for my nutrients, so I can manage the ecosystem in this box correctly for the plants vs just dosing stuff? ...or more specifically, what do I need to test for?

Currently, using those Tetra 5 in 1 test strips:

Nitrates: OMG! (as in "are you sure this test patch is supposed to be this color?)

KH: 150
Alkalinity: 80-120 range
PH: 8.4+

Obviously, I'm going to be changing some water for awhile. I just need to know how to test for the parameters I will be trying to hit. I will be trying to grow some water wisteria, scarlet temple, crypts, and a variety of other plants in a community tank once I get the water straightened out. Haven't had much luck keeping the red plants red, though I have a 175 metal halide over a 30 gal. tank (24 inches above bottom, somewhere about).

Old 09-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Update: my test strips are shot, so I'll have to get some new ones. ...though another thing I found of them says my nitrates are fairly low (maybe 10PPM)

Old 09-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd personally recommend getting a liquid test kit. The API Master Kit is affordable for what you get. You can do hundreds of tests with it. The paper strips are notoriously inaccurate. Beyond that, I don't have any advice on targeting testing. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
JackBinimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

When I was running my high tech tank, during the cycling process I would monitor ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Later i would only measure nitrate and phosphate occasionally to see if any adjustments were needed to the fertilizer routine. I also monitored the pH when making adjustments to the CO2 tank.
In my cases I would keep the nitrate between 10-20 and phosphate between 5-10 (yes, pretty high).
Old 09-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

pH - Nutrient availability and CO2 concentrations
kH - Carbonate hardness and CO2 concentrations
gH - General hardness -- Ca and Mg (plant secondary nutrients)
TDS - Good reference for dissolved solids (fertilizers)
NO3 - For N - Plant macro nutrient - I shoot for 20-40ppm
PO4 - For P - Plant macro nutrient - I shoot for 8:1 NO3:PO4

All liquid (pH pen and TDS pen from amazon)

rotalabutterfly.com for simple maths and calculations.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:49 PM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I test nitrates and phosphate mainly. Potassium kits were expensive, I should see if others out there now.

Ph I do get from the ph probe but itís CO2 injected anyways.

Fe and Cu I donít find useful. Ammonia worth testing after adding say substrate tabs as a check.

Tags
ate, test, test kit, test kits, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com