Tetra LED light hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never really had a problem with it if they are hardy plants. But for more sensitive plants you might need a more suitable light. Maybe you can she natural sunlight and plant fertilizer.

You can grow any low light plant just fine..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you buy that fixture already? If not, we can make suggestions on what we know would work.

This is my first time seeing this product. I did a search online and can't find much info on it in terms of watts or PAR. But this one site lists, under specifications, that it is 2.88 watts. I know watts really don't matter too much in terms of LEDs... but if an inexpensive LED hood uses only a total of 2.88 watts, to me, that's a red flag that it is not capable of supporting plants and will definitely not grow them unless your tank is super shallow.

LED Aquarium Hood - 20 in. x 10 in. | thatpetplace.com

What's your budget on lighting and what light level are you trying to achieve? What size tank do you have?

I have this exact light.. I got the same tetra 10 combo tank when I was.just starting out.. I had a crypt wendti growing in the tank for a few months just fine.. now I have chopped the top to fit my 5.5 grow out tank, all that is in there for plants is anarchis and java moss which isn't saying much.. they are growing like weeds and green as green can be with no fertilizers and 7 hours of lighting.. In a 10 gal you can get away with some plants. You'll just want to place them under each of the 3 led clusters. I'd recommend buying individual items as the filter that comes with that setup is pure rubbish...

I have a 10 gallon right now it has 2 x13 watt CFL's 6500k. But I want to use my 20g to dirt and plant. The only problem is I don't have a hood and light for the 20. Looking for a cheap solution.

Sometimes you get what you pay for with lighting. What's the max budget for the 20g lighting? What do you want to grow? Low light plants, medium, high?

But for budget lighting, I think Aquatraders is known to have inexpensive options for T5 and LEDs.

Aquarium Lighting - Guaranteed Best Prices Online!

Just know with moderate to high lighting you'll need to get a good fertilizer regimen going and carbon source such as Glut/Excel or CO2. But in return you'll get faster more lush growth and can even grow carpeting plants like DHG (and other more demanding species).

But if you're happy with low light tolerant (low-tech) plants, then go with Brookster's feedback since he has experience with that particular Tetra lighting.

If you're able to wait & save some money (and boost your budget), I encourage you to invest in a solid well-regarded lighting system. Do some research and check reviews. You can always go "budget" on other aspects (i.e. ferts, co2, substrate, etc), but I personally wouldn't skimp on lighting. I'd go with either the Finnex Planted+ or Current-USA Satellite LED+. These are great options for the value and will last you years and will grow a good amount of plants you throw at them.

Sometimes you get what you pay for with lighting. What's the max budget for the 20g lighting? What do you want to grow? Low light plants, medium, high?

But for budget lighting, I think Aquatraders is known to have inexpensive options for T5 and LEDs.

Aquarium Lighting - Guaranteed Best Prices Online!

Just know with moderate to high lighting you'll need to get a good fertilizer regimen going and carbon source such as Glut/Excel or CO2. But in return you'll get faster more lush growth and can even grow carpeting plants like DHG (and other more demanding species).

But if you're happy with low light tolerant (low-tech) plants, then go with Brookster's feedback since he has experience with that particular Tetra lighting.

If you're able to wait & save some money (and boost your budget), I encourage you to invest in a solid well-regarded lighting system. Do some research and check reviews. You can always go "budget" on other aspects (i.e. ferts, co2, substrate, etc), but I personally wouldn't skimp on lighting. I'd go with either the Finnex Planted+ or Current-USA Satellite LED+. These are great options for the value and will last you years and will grow a good amount of plants you throw at them.

Agreed!! That tetra light is so basic and I regret purchasing it.. was just giving honest feedback based on experience. .

Back
Top Bottom