The basics for Plants for a 36 bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wanna know anything an everything for the beginner low light plant keeper. My tank is 21 ins deep and I really wanna do a simi ditch aqua scape with co2. So any suggestions tips or tricks you have to offer, then please do. I have Anubis and amazon swords( with tabs) right now

What type of lighting do you have?
If you have low light, you do not need CO2.
But I don't think you'll be able to do a Dutch aquascaped with low light. You're gonna need at least medium lighting for all those different colored stem plants. Which means CO2 and ferts.

Well, I think I currently have a 17 watt bulb over the tank, and that's all I know. See I'm really clueless when it comes to lighting. Also I plan on buying a beginner co2 kit sometime in the future

I have that same tank. That light will grow pretty much nothing. I couldn't even grow anacharis under it. I have moved that light to my 12" deep 10g and it's giving me very low light on that.
With that light all you'll be able to grow is anubias, java fern, and moss. If even that.
Co2 with that low light is unnecessary. The plants will not grow fast enough to need any more carbon than what is already in the water column. CO2 is really only needed when you get into medium or high lighting.
If you have your heart set on a Dutch aquascape, be prepared to spend much time researching and a good amount of money. You'll want to invest in a high output LED or T5HOs, a pressurized CO2 tank (5lb would be ideal as paintball canisters run out very quickly), and dry ferts (most people on here use the GLA package).

Well, from way back when I had a SW, I had bought some 24 in T5ho. I still have it and its a 24 watt fixture (I think, I'll have to double check that. Will ft hat be any improvement?

Alrighy then, I'll switch over to it after I clean it up some. Will it be able to support low light plants?

I don't know much about T5HOs, but it's my understanding that they put out a good amount of light, although with a 21" deep tank it might be low light. Try looking up PAR data for your particular fixture.

I don't know much about T5HOs, but it's my understanding that they put out a good amount of light, although with a 21" deep tank it might be low light. Try looking up PAR data for your particular fixture.

I have a 36 gal bow front too and I have 2 T5-HO. I use Seachem Excel for liquid CO2 and Flourish for liquid ferts along with root tabs occasionally.

Attachments

• Gene pick-my aquarium 012314.jpg
    Gene pick-my aquarium 012314.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 66
What bulbs do you have in the T5HO fixture? Most likely you will need to change the bulbs unless they are 10K's as plants will utilize 6000K to 10K the best.

You will also need to use CO2 or a liquid carbon daily with this lighting. You also need to look into ferts. Dry ferts will be the most ecomonical choice for a larger tank.

I replacing 2 of them anyway way cause they were the blue bulbs seen on reefs tank but the white ones are 10k. I have flourish root tabs so far and when I make a run to my fish store I plan on buying some liquids ferts to add along with it

Yeah that's what I heard though I know red and green are suppose to really make colors pop so I looking for a mixture bulb

Back
Top Bottom