The BGA Blues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessieVB

Aquarium Advice Activist
I can't seem to get rid of this BGA. :( It followed me from the 1 gal. to the 5 gal., and I'm not sure how to get rid of it. :bawl:

I will get the water params up when I do a PWC tonight, but I know that my nitrAtes have been bottoming out. I plan on getting as much of the BGA out of the tank during the PWC and then doing a 5 day black out of the tank (did a 3 day black out once and that almost but not quite got rid of the BGA. I would rather not put chemicals/antibiotics in there if I can get rid of it another way.

Any suggestions? :confused:

Nitrates bottoming out is one of the prime causes for BGA. Dosing Nitrates with sufficient flow to distribute them around the aquarium will go a long way to getting it under control paired with the manual removal you're already doing.

Did the PWC and got out as much BGA as I possibly could. I think I'll do a 5 day black out followed by another large PWC.

I may have to try that. I'm a bit hesitant to though. . . I'd have to find a powerhead with a flow rate gentle enough my betta. . .

Forget a powerhead with a betta. Keep cleaning it and add some N on a regular basis. It should go away. Antibiotics work as a last resort.

Back
Top Bottom